Dune's cliff

Started by Dune, January 17, 2018, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 28, 2018, 01:34:56 AM
Negative light is not really working (cave turns nasty black), though I didn't pursue it very far. I unchecked the cave for now. And tried another setup with warped strata in two layers. But I find it a bit contrived. Also some other seeds for cliff softness and warp. Still work to do...

Well it might have worked, apologies for wasting your time there.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

I'm not quite sure about your latest version. I think the previous ones were way better.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on March 28, 2018, 11:41:12 AM
I'm not quite sure about your latest version. I think the previous ones were way better.

Ditto and I think this one, "Cliffs of Moher 26-02-18-v9B-test3.jpg", is my faveorite...I like the wee alcove that happens in it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Agreed. My favourite as well.

Dune

I don't know if that's my favorite. But I'm not finished yet  ;) Here's another setup, still no good. I like some elements, but others not. Cave is set too low too.

bobbystahr

Big like on the cave and I see what you mean but that's fix-able...watching this...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

ajcgi

The cave is a lovely touch.

René

Already very attractive. If you want to make the cave stand out more, you might want to use a second sunlight in the right place with extremely soft shadows.  Maybe some tiny detail for the rocks in some places without changing the overall look?

Dune

That's an idea, René, about the extra sun, though I try to keep render time down. Despite the huge number of nodes (I'm afraid it's not plug&play), it takes only 3 hours at 0.6 and 6. Already got better rock rendering (with small displacements).
A wide spotlight above the cave area may also work, very subtly.

luvsmuzik

Whichever cliff you decide to use, it seems you have conquered the coastline foam.  ;D

Dune

I have so little time, but did a few adjustments. I think this will be my last test (without reflection and cloud for faster testing). Some minor editing will be done too, to birds, seagrass areas and stickingthroughstonegrasses. Unless someone detects another major flaw....

The sea near horizon has some strange stripes, but I guess it's remains from warping. It will be invisible in final with reflections.

Hannes

I guess, this is the best cliff you got. Very natural, and I think the scale looks perfect now. Of course the reflection of the water will be the icing on the cake. Great job, Ulco!

archonforest

Wow! Just love the foreground addition. Your render is almost ready for battle!(the water stripes) Good luck man!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Thanks guys. I'll post the full thing one of these days.

Gannaingh

Looks great, I especially like the walls along the cliff top!