How do you rotate Image mapped textures on a Planet.

Started by eapilot, June 18, 2018, 05:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eapilot

I am struggling to rotate a Image Map Shader on a planet.  I want to have the ability to rotate the image map on the planet to get the desired composition with a cloud mask and planet texture.  I can get the image to map correctly but I cannot rotate it or adjust the position. Matt had an old thread of using the Geog Map Shader but I couldn't adjust it either.  Any help would be great.  Attached is the .tgd file and the texture that I used to map the clouds.

I plan on using existing masks and textures of earth (clouds, terrain, height.)

Link to thread about using geog image map shader
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19752.msg194812.html#msg194812

Any help would be great!
Thanks.

[attachimg=1]

Dune

A simple transform shader (rotate) would do the trick as far as I can tell. Moving it could give problems with the spherical projection though, as you may then move the file 'off the center of the planet' necessary for spherical projection.

Oshyan

You should be able to just use a Transform Input shader, as Dune shows. I don't think rotation should mess up the center point positioning on its own.

- Oshyan

eapilot

Ok,thanks!  I will try that.  I had the impression that I couldn't do this based on old forum posts relating to this subject.

Oshyan

You can't do it with heightfields, unfortunately, but you can with image map shaders.

- Oshyan