A Beautiful Panorama

Started by dhavalmistry, October 17, 2007, 11:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

Here are a couple you might find fascinating:

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&t=k&hl=en&ll=53.179704,-121.014404&spn=1.157164,2.570801&z=9&om=1

Bowron Lakes Provincial Park is in the centre - Great canoe route

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&t=h&hl=en&ll=52.403257,-120.231628&spn=0.589001,1.2854&z=10&om=1

Wells Gray Provincial Park - Great mountains

One other thing, you need to be careful along the Alberta / British Columbia border.  The data in BC side is very good 10m data, the data in Alberta is pretty terrible 25m data.  Very unfortunate as some of the best mountains are along the border.

dhavalmistry

oh...these are nice RArcher....I wouldnt mind these either.....any ones will do....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

bigben

Looks like Wells Gray and Wood Buffalo.

I'll centre the larger padding terrains between the two. Seems like an area I'll be exploring now that I'm getting the data.  The connection to the server has just gone down the toilet, but I'm still getting stuff through on a single connection.

dhavalmistry

I will pray that you get good connection....LOL....

bigben

That helped... or was it that I stopped the landsat download as well  ;)  I should have all grids adjacent to 82 by the end of the day which will be more than enough for now.  I'll upload the terrains on Monday as a preliminary set including blue marble and landsat references. How much you use is up to you.

dhavalmistry

thanx ben....thats BIG help!

bigben

A little something to get you through the weekend   ;)

Forgot the names of the locations so the names are a bit odd. Here's a 513x513 TER of the location I chose to make a set of this weekend, after looking at 30m res terrains of each location.  TGD and lake mask to follow.... then on Monday you can just replace the terrain for the 4097x4097 version.

4097 lake mask and tgd to follow.

bigben

Lake mask and TGD enclosed in the zip. Quick render using the 4097 terrain

RArcher

Looks pretty good Ben, Just trying to orient myself and figure out which lake it is.  Here is a map i put together of the park a couple years ago with the lake names listed.  By looking at the map can you tell which one you covered in the .ter?

http://www.maptown.com/temp/bowron-lakes-provincial-park-compressed.pdf

dhavalmistry

dhavalmistry

hey ben!.....I have a question about the mask.....did you extract the mask from the data or you just made it in photoshop?

bigben

Both.  I extract a slope map from the data. This makes all lake surface white, and their banks not white.

I load this into Photoshop and use a magic wand with a tolerance of 1 (contiguous, no anti-aliasing) to select the lakes.... invert the section and fill with black. I usually use a satellite overlay to verify that the flat area I'm selecting actually is a lake, but I haven't done this one yet so some of the small lakes may be a bit odd.

This is a really good method because it uses the same data as the terrain. I add a slope restriction just to keep things tidy. This should also make it work reasonably well with the lower res terrain where smoothing will raise some of the areas covered by the mask.

bigben

Quote from: RArcher on October 19, 2007, 10:54:24 AM
Looks pretty good Ben, Just trying to orient myself and figure out which lake it is.  Here is a map i put together of the park a couple years ago with the lake names listed.  By looking at the map can you tell which one you covered in the .ter?

http://www.maptown.com/temp/bowron-lakes-provincial-park-compressed.pdf

The centre is just to the left of campsite 24, Isaac Lake. I may make 2 x 10m res terrains to get more of the length of the lake and adjacent mountains at high res and enclose it in a 30m terrain for padding (and then 60m for views from the peaks).... Looking at the map now, I seem to recall you wanted Spectacle Lakes?

How about a U-shaped set covering the lakes in the map?

RArcher

I'm thinking that putting together an animation of the full 7 day canoe route (starts and ends in the top left corner of the map) might turn out rather well.  Of course that depends if I can manage to surface things to look nice enough.  The great thing is that there are plenty of reference photographs on the web to try and get the trees and lake sides correct.

I'm just loading all the data I have in GM now to see if I can figure out your export process.