Mutliples in Terragen?

Started by WAS, October 25, 2018, 08:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Yes there is. But you'll need to work out what's going on in the above and how you want to apply it.

In the above example, you're subtracting the modulo output from the displacement value. Within that you can work out how that modulo output should curve through it's range to give you less harsh steps. Nodes like Bias and Gain are useful, but they work within the 0-1 range, so the divide by modulo input2 brings you back into that, which you can then multiply back out. Then you have Linear and Smooth Step Scalers. Combinations of those will create step steepness and plateau build up.

And nothing is stopping you multiplying anything by a PF....

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on October 27, 2018, 10:37:02 PM
Nodes like Bias and Gain are useful, but they work within the 0-1 range, so the divide by modulo input2 brings you back into that, which you can then multiply back out.

Could you explain this, maybe a little more simpler? I think I got lost. I'll have a look in the morning and see if I can understand it better.

Quote from: Hetzen on October 27, 2018, 10:37:02 PM
Then you have Linear and Smooth Step Scalers. Combinations of those will create step steepness and plateau build up.

This I am also confused on, I've been told about using linear and smooth step in conjunction for this but couldn't seem to grasp it. Is it a linear step fed into a smooth step, right?

mhaze

Thanks for this - however I cannot get bias/gain or smooth step to work. Probably the fact that my maths has long gone! I can get plateau build up but not control the steepness of the steps.

Dune

If you have an output and put a bias scaler after that, use a constant scalar as function input, with a value between 0 and 1 to shift the grey. I usually use 0.2 or 0.8 or so to shift either side. Smooth step kind of works the same as color adjust (but differently), and you can use either small values or in case of large terrain displacements altitudes. Even PF's with ((even large) color ranges and distribution by its noise.

mhaze

This is as far as I seem to be able to get.

Hetzen

mhaze

Thank you. Always great to learn from the masters! I've struggling all morning!

mhaze

Thanks again, Hetzen, with the addition of a Y redirect this produces beautiful outcroppy landscapes.

Hetzen

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

WAS

Oh there has been some developments. From what I am understanding from current conversation I was trying to do things a little backwards for the edges.

Dune

Here's another simple way of getting some sort of strata.

WAS

Oh wow, cool Ulco. This thread is really getting informative. Haha

ajcgi

I like this thread loads. Jordan, your inquisitive mind works on another level.
The simple node layouts on this thread answer a few blue nodes questions I've had for a while.
This strikes me as being potentially faster and looser, creatively speaking, for strata.

mhaze

Matt

Ulco, have you tried using Get Altitude instead? It doesn't need an input, and this saves it from calculating the terrain twice (or 4 times in your example).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.