Ancient ruins

Started by Aenea, October 19, 2007, 02:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aenea

Hi all!

This is my first real serious try in TG. It´s just a work in progress, but I thought I share it now and try to collect some opinions and  tips....
I have to do some work on light, the sky and I think also on the surfaces....especially around the ruin. I want to create a mask layer with an even surface (plastered stones or something like that).
And I´m not quite sure if I put too much stones into the scene.....

hope to get some response *lol*

rcallicotte

I like your terrain and textures, though the front rocks could use a little more color diversity and yet this is being very picky.  I like this.  Nice building.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

it looks like you used the "cracked face" function clip for the background mounts.....nothing wrong with that.....thats how we all learn....please forgive me if you didnt use it....little bit more work like dead trees or dead bushes and you are set!

keep it up!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Mahnmut

I don´t know what your plans are,
but talking about this WIP I´d show some more sky and some less foreground.
I really like your mountain!
Did you build that ruin yourself?
Btw, is it Aenea like in Simmons´ "Endymion"?
Best Regards,
Jan

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Mahnmut on October 19, 2007, 10:05:24 PM
Did you build that ruin yourself?

I think that is "Abby Ruins" it is available for download here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/63805388/Abbey_fix.rar

Aenea

@mahnmut: What does the Dark Lady does? What about your buddy Orphu *lol*
Oh yes I LOVE Dan Simmons...he´s one of the most brilliant writers I ever stumbled over. And Hyperion/Endymion is my favorite....then Olympos. Wonderful to see someone else reading Simmons!!!!

Thanks a lot for your answers. Should I tell you something about the mountains? I just put an image map on it and it came out like that....strange, but I liked it. If I ever get how this cracked stones thing works I will try that too.

If you like I can post the tgd....I used textures from this site: http://www.cgtextures.com/

And the ruin isn´t build by me (someday I might try this too, but learning Terragen and Poser the same time is hard enough....think I leave 3dsmax or C4d for the future *lol*)

And yes...I think you´re right by adding some dead bushes and trees....will try to find some....
I just have some difficulties with the snow, somehow you really can´t see that there´s snow on the top of the mountain in the background (behind the mountains you see in the front.....). I think I would have to use another mountain color but I like the effect so much that I really don´t want to change it....hmmmmmm

I also changed the stone colours in front a bit....let´s see how it works.

Thanks so much
Aenea (Endymion)

Mahnmut

Hi Aenea.
There are some nice plant models for free on turbosquid.
About your snow:
I don´t know if you know the snow tutorial on terradreams, it told me all I know.
Until now, your background moutain is simply white.
And the foreground looks quite hot and arid to me, I wouldn´t expect snow there.
Your foreground mountain looks perfectly like some white chalky rock, with exactly the right kind of erosion for that.
Yes, I´d like to see your Tgd.
Best regards,
Jan

Aenea

Hey there!

After I finally managed to erase a lot of mistakes and improve my work, here´s the recent render and the tgd.

Aenea

rcallicotte

Very nice.  The tree needs some texturing.  Otherwise, a lot of good work here.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

nice improvement....are you still using image map for the background??

Aenea

Thanks guys

@calico: I am doing that at the moment *lol*, and I changed the sun also a bit so that one can see the tree better.
Maybe I add some more dead vegetation, not much....but a little

@dhavalmistry: yes, it´s just this layered rock image put on the mountains....it´s funny that it worked this way....taking a closer look you can see it, it not really 3d...but it does a good job *g*.

As I only have the TP version I cannot render it at high quality, that´s sad, because you can detect pixels enough in that picture....*sigh*.

Aenea

Mahnmut

Nice!
quite a different image because of the point of view, but very nice.
I like the flat stones, they look as if they may have been used in some now destroyed pavement.
Best regards,
Jan

Aenea

Thanx to all your comments.

The next update....think I leave it to that now.....

I deleted the snow and put some texture on the tree

Any more CC welcome

Aenea

sonshine777

The only thing I would change would be to move the tree out of the footprint of the building. The tree is as old as the building and wouldn't have grown inside of it. The wall of the abby on the right foreground of the image is part of the ruins in the background, putting the tree in the middle of one of the rooms. I think if you can figure out how to move the tree outside without ruining the POV it would make the image more believable. Just a thought. The texturing is very nice, keep up the great work.

bigben

Nice to see the end result  :)  It's certainly come a long way.