Chemin forestier

Started by Antoine, November 28, 2018, 08:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 28, 2018, 05:50:00 PM
Wow, beautiful indeed! Were you using the new Robust adaptive sampling option? If not, you should try it, will probably increase quality/lower render time, especially for path tracing.

WAS, Voxel Scatter Quality is only going to have an effect if these are v3 clouds, which as has been discussed here before is not really necessary for thin mist like this. So if it is v3, rather than reduce AA and up voxel scatter, I'd just switch to v2 clouds, and probably save even more render time with higher lower noise results. Although changing to v2 clouds might take more adjustment time to match this result if it's already v3...

- Oshyan

Funny. I use voxel scattering quality to literally reduce noise I'm haze lol.... On v2. The just released shield volcano had massively noisy v2 for the cosmic haze... Voxel scattering quality bumped by 50 exponentially reduced noise...

Seem you say a lot of stuff Oshyan... You yourself have told me to up this to reduce godray noise. Are you confusing 2d and 3d voxel noise?

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 29, 2018, 01:36:28 PM
Funny. I use voxel scattering quality to literally reduce noise I'm haze lol.... On v2. The just released shield volcano had massively noisy v2 for the cosmic haze... Voxel scattering quality bumped by 50 exponentially reduced noise...

"Voxel scattering quality" in GI Settings has no effect on Cloud Layer V2.

Seem you say a lot of stuff Oshyan... You yourself have told me to up this to reduce godray noise. Are you confusing 2d and 3d voxel noise?

To reduce godray noise, the advice would be to increase "Ray march quality" on the cloud layer itself, or increase AA.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Fantastic render, great job man!
Looking forward to see the fresh clean render and hopefully a little little bit bigger?

WAS

Quote from: Matt on November 29, 2018, 04:08:54 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on November 29, 2018, 01:36:28 PM

To reduce godray noise, the advice would be to increase "Ray march quality" on the cloud layer itself, or increase AA.

Good to know I guess, though I've been using this to decrease noise in many scenes, for example the my jumping on the haze kick where it had a very noticeable difference with V2. Remember, I am limited to AA 0.6 so noise is pretty much always a battle and needs to be overcome on a per-scene a lot.

Though that begs to question, what about V2's Voxel Buffer? May need clarification to the statement.

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 29, 2018, 04:59:22 PM
Quote from: Matt on November 29, 2018, 04:08:54 PM

Good to know I guess, though I've been using this to decrease noise in many scenes, for example the my jumping on the haze kick where it had a very noticeable difference with V2. Remember, I am limited to AA 0.6 so noise is pretty much always a battle and needs to be overcome on a per-scene a lot.

Though that begs to question, what about V2's Voxel Buffer? May need clarification to the statement.

The voxel buffer can optionally be used to cast shadows (and other options available on the Optimisation tab), but none of those applications of the voxel buffer create pixel-level noise, so there are no quality controls associated with them. "Voxel scattering quality" affects exactly one thing: the number of rays scattered through Cloud Layer V3 and Easy Cloud to calculate multiple scattering at every pixel (and this does create noise).

Further discussion should move to another thread, so we don't take away from David's image.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.