Blocky Rocks II

Started by Dune, March 26, 2019, 08:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Leaving the mountain road again, inspired by René's work, I had a go at squarish rocks again. Two renders; RT and PT newest build (robust sampling). The main difference is in the foliage of course, but (in both) I had the opacity down to 0.6 or so, which is very clear in RT mode. No postwork.

DocCharly65

I like the foliage of the PT version more.
But both anyway gigantic!

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

Oshyan

Interesting how much the shading in the cliff (on the left) varies with PT too. You see stripes in the texture where you didn't before. Probably due to Defer All, which is used for PT. You could try enabling it for the non-PT render to see if that's what's causing the terrain shading difference.

- Oshyan

Dune

I may try that later on, but first another iteration. No yet satisfied, though, some nasties around.

Dune

Updated. Path Traced. Took 2hrs with mpd 0.6 and AA6, soft shadows 6 samples.

RichTwo

Ah - your latest is by far your best.  Especially with the color variation and narrow cracks.
They're all wasted!

Hannes

Great! And once again the path tracer makes it look much deeper.

DocCharly65

Absolutely agree!
I love especially the look of the trees foliage now very much!

Oshyan

Note that with Path Tracing (or just Defer All) you can use much fewer Soft Shadow samples and save render time. Often 1 is enough.

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks Oshyan. I remember it's been mentioned before, but I have to get those changed parameters into my mindset.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Another setup, rendered in PT. Generic v3 low clouds (cloud quality 0.3) mpd 0.6, AA6, but they are grainier than expected. It's a bit too cloudy, btw. I wanted sun in front.
The wolf rock is a cube. The big rubble flows are masked by flow map from Daniil's erosion shader, which was only used for masking.

DannyG

Rock face looks darn good
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram