Musical Videoclips with Terragen

Started by PcXT, April 01, 2019, 07:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PcXT

Hi everyone,

My name is PcXT. I am a music producer based in Paris and I discovered Terragen a few month ago as I was looking for a way to create video clips for my music.
First of all, I'd like to thank you all, developers and users, for the amazing content found on the forum. You have been very helpful and I would still be stucked without the info you're all sharing.

After many hours of work and documentation reading, I'm able to release my first clip today. I gave myself a challenge : releasing a musical track with its videoclip every week for one year.

I thought It would be interesting to show you the results. You will certainly find a lot to say, positive and negative : feel free, I love feedback !
I just have to say that I'm CPU-Power limited. As each clip is a set of ca.4600 frames, I had to make sacrifices : low resolution (800x450), no clouds, no populations... I may upgrade during the process but for now I've decided that the result is satisfying.

Here's the link of the 1st clip :

https://youtu.be/AgKiHiAG7gE

If you don't find me spammy with the project I'll be glad to share my next clips here. And above all I hope you'll enjoy the music for itself !

Thanks again everyone, I hope you'll like it !

Dune

Welcome to the forum and what an entry. Love the way you synchronized the animation with your music. Very cool.

PcXT

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

bobbystahr

Welcome indeed and quite the entry...love the syncing of music to motion...can't wait till you upgrade your system and really get into this. You do know there are render farms you could hire to do the 'heavy lifting' when it comes to rendering..would love to see your interactions with clouds and maybe flying through forests etc. Keep up the great work and as these are in fact images this is the correct forum to post in.
Cool music by the way, do you need more? Some of us here write music as well....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

Cool project! For future weeks, try the "Animation Check" button on the Sequence/Output tab. You may find this reduces the popping surfaces you see when the camera moves. I look forward to seeing and hearing more.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

PcXT

Thanks bobbystahr, thanx Matt ! Cool you like it !

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the upgrade a bit, as I've already a dozen of clips rendered... But don't worry I've tried to make as much variety as I could.
Yeah I heard about render farms. What I've seen is too expensive for me, but if you have any cool address why not. I plan to have 52 clips though...

Thanx for the tip Matt. That's what I do now, although I don"t really know what the button does.

I don't really "need" more music, since the images are supporting the music I make and not the other way round. But if some of the musicians here want to collaborate, it would be with pleasure !

bobbystahr

Quote from: PcXT on April 02, 2019, 03:01:04 AM

I don't really "need" more music, since the images are supporting the music I make and not the other way round. But if some of the musicians here want to collaborate, it would be with pleasure !

I sort of thought the music was in fact driving the animation...well done on that. Collaboration sounds like an idea for the future...keep me in mind if you come to that point. I play and write as my first art mistress and graphics has long been my therapy for when music isn't working but I love both equally in my old age of retirement heh heh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

PixelPlow is about as affordable as render farms get, and if you're not in a hurry you can just use the lowest priority for extremely affordable pricing. Especially if you are using somewhat lower detail and complexity as-in this case. One thing to think about would be to *not* actually make the scenes much more complex (e.g. avoid clouds if possible, or use simple and v2 clouds), but use the extra render farm resources to just increase quality so you have higher quality results. The terrain in your current video suffers a bit from the low detail (aside from just the popping that Matt mentioned).

- Oshyan

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

PcXT

QuoteI sort of thought the music was in fact driving the animation...
Well, exactly ! It's a musical project, I start by composing the track. Only then I choose a planet from the ones I've made and start editing the video according to the music.
QuoteCollaboration sounds like an idea for the future...
Do you have a soundcloud or a website to have a listen ?

Thank you DannyG and Oshyan. Yes, PixelPlow seems worth trying. As I'm watching all your awesome pictures I realize how much my renders could be better. I've about 15 rendered landscapes already, so it's food for thoughts for the future... (I also suspect that Youtube adds compression and wipes away some details.)
I hope I won't shock you with the next video, in which I've deliberately chosen a low-poly setting. I like the sort of "vintage computer" feeling that occurs then, even if it's using 1% of TG capabilities and in the end may be not fair to the software... 

bobbystahr

Quote from: PcXT on April 03, 2019, 02:13:42 AM
QuoteI sort of thought the music was in fact driving the animation...
Well, exactly ! It's a musical project, I start by composing the track. Only then I choose a planet from the ones I've made and start editing the video according to the music.
QuoteCollaboration sounds like an idea for the future...
Do you have a soundcloud or a website to have a listen ?

here's a page but the computer tests are the last few after the numbered songs which is actually me playing and singing my solo cd.
Feel free to edit these first few computer made tunes at will by the way...be interested to hear what you come up with. These are from when I first got Melody Assistant and was teaching myself how to write on a staff instead of just my guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/bobbystahr
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

PcXT

Thanks man, I'll check that out this Weekend. Very generous from you !

bobbystahr

Quote from: PcXT on April 04, 2019, 02:26:15 PM
Thanks man, I'll check that out this Weekend. Very generous from you !

No problem at all....I get the music free in my heart and brain...just happens; so I am compelled by my original hippy ethic, to share heh heh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New