Blocky Rocks II

Started by Dune, March 26, 2019, 08:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Still struggling along.... trying to get a decent area where rock broke loose and tumbled down. I have to use negative rocks to get the holes in, I guess.

DocCharly65

Thats such a sweet detail - that sunbather on the stone :)

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on April 04, 2019, 01:50:05 AM
...trying to get a decent area where rock broke loose and tumbled down...

Curious how it will look.
I would try (at least with some smaller) rock populations on top of this too just to see if it would help or not.

Dune

Still struggling... PT render, took 4+hours. Negative rocks didn't work, so I opted for some voronoi indentations.

Kadri

You want probably a one surface solution but a second planet or plane like method might be easier?

Matt

Are you using Robust Adaptive Sampling, non-customised? Some of the shadows look too dark to me, which can happen with the legacy sampler. Robust with default settings should render faster too.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

No I didn't, as I found the clouds getting grainy in earlier versions. Even when setting cloud detail from 0.3.. to 1. Thought Robust rendered much faster indeed. But the dark shadows is likely due to some post enhancing in PS.

This one (still with issues) is RT rendered again.

René

I don't want to be pedantic, but in my experience the best and easiest way to make those indentations is with the painted shader, at least if there are not too many. Once you are satisfied with the rock texture you can paint in places where it is most logical, like in the cracks that are already there.
Maybe you will need to feed the fake stones through a transform shader– world space, and limit it with slope– terrain normal. Sometimes that gives better results.

Dune

Thanks René. Well, that was one of the issues I meant in the latter render, forgot to use a max slope. It looks pretty weird indeed. And actually I prefer using a procedural base to get the gullies in, mainly for changes of terrain/rock seeds, and corresponding 'easy' stonefalls. But you're right, with small numbers and an established terrain a painted shader would be the way.

And it doesn't sound pedantic at all, any input from you is greatly appreciated!

mhaze

Rocks will not lay on slopes above 45 degrees, any higher and they will roll down.  One or two may get caught on ledges.

Antoine

Beautiful and great work !

Dune

Now with max slopes and some other adjustments. I'm not satisfied with the rockfalls though.

DocCharly65

A pity that the rockfall is missing  :'( I liked the one with the slightly brighter rochs in "SquareRock_v9_29-03-19 test 13.jpg" very much.
But anyway great cliffs!

bobbystahr

Quote from: DocCharly65 on April 09, 2019, 08:45:03 AM
A pity that the rockfall is missing  :'( I liked the one with the slightly brighter rochs in "SquareRock_v9_29-03-19 test 13.jpg" very much.
But anyway great cliffs!

agree
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist