Bored...again

Started by bobbystahr, August 14, 2019, 06:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

so I opened up my Olive Trees directory and this pop grew out of that. There is also a PBR logs model that I populated one of AP's moss models and a Dune grass, with a bush pop from somewhere called hipoly near as I can make out.
c&c welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

This is a nice angle, it makes the scene look more full. The populations and models look pretty good for the lighting. No need to worry about too much or little light coming through the leaves.

Oshyan

I like the low perspective too, a "bug's eye view" :D Some of the ground seems a little overly smooth, maybe add some small-scale displacement or little Fake Stones as an overall base that will show through the grass?

This is a scene that might benefit from path tracing, too. Though not sure your machine is that good for trying, unfortunately.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2019, 07:16:52 PMI like the low perspective too, a "bug's eye view" :D Some of the ground seems a little overly smooth, maybe add some small-scale displacement or little Fake Stones as an overall base that will show through the grass?

This is a scene that might benefit from path tracing, too. Though not sure your machine is that good for trying, unfortunately.

- Oshyan
Thanks Oshyan, this machine I'm on is my net DELL and atm I can't afford upgrading to the newer versions, or my workstation as I have a money pit house that keeps eating up spare change sadly. There are fake stones there so perhaps I'll just give them more height...didn't want to over do it....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

well the stones showed up but I maybe over did the translucency on the bush pop but I like the bright 'meadow' that appears...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Hmm, a little too light now maybe, but I do think it's a bit more realistic with the ground cover of stones. It they were just a little smaller or slightly less dense it could be an improvement, but you could chase that dragon forever. ;)

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 15, 2019, 01:11:05 PMHmm, a little too light now maybe, but I do think it's a bit more realistic with the ground cover of stones. It they were just a little smaller or slightly less dense it could be an improvement, but you could chase that dragon forever. ;)

- Oshyan
Indeed but it's not a long render so maybe later today I'll take another stab at it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

very nice, definitely a keeper.

CredePendrel

Did the log in the foreground come with those leaves on it? They look kinda weird in the circled portion here..... Otherwise, awesome job Bobby!

bobbystahr

Quote from: CredePendrel on August 15, 2019, 02:04:56 PMDid the log in the foreground come with those leaves on it? They look kinda weird in the circled portion here..... Otherwise, awesome job Bobby!
No, that's the moss and I can't seem to get it to not make those lines sadly...maybe someone here has a population trick for that. The moss uses the tree trunks as it's target not the terrain FYI
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 15, 2019, 02:46:46 PM
Quote from: CredePendrel on August 15, 2019, 02:04:56 PMDid the log in the foreground come with those leaves on it? They look kinda weird in the circled portion here..... Otherwise, awesome job Bobby!
No, that's the moss and I can't seem to get it to not make those lines sadly...maybe someone here has a population trick for that. The moss uses the tree trunks as it's target not the terrain FYI
Are you using a compute normal?

Oshyan

It's anchored to an object, shouldn't need Compute Normal. 

Bobby, did you move the *source* object at all?

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 15, 2019, 03:01:59 PMIt's anchored to an object, shouldn't need Compute Normal.

- Oshyan
Nope and I've had this happen before....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 15, 2019, 03:01:59 PMIt's anchored to an object, shouldn't need Compute Normal.

- Oshyan

Yeah, that's my point.

How are you populating? Are you using distribution for the pop on the object? I'm assuming default pop variation?

Dune

I'd do the moss procedurally.