Ground fog or mist in Terragen 4

Started by Chris-HB, September 01, 2019, 02:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris-HB

Hello,

what options do I have to make ground fog or mist in Terragen 4, other than placing a cloud layer at ground level? I want the fog to be dependant on height, while still retaining the original haze of the scene; so it must be something different from haze.

In Bryce, there is a seperate slider just to make fog. I am looking for something similar in Terragen.

How do I do this?

Oshyan

You could use a second atmosphere, potentially. You'd probably want to disable everything except the Haze, then use very high Haze Density and very low Haze Exp Height. I have attached a TGD that shows an example. Note that you will need to adjust the Density and Exp Height together to get good results at different heights.

I'm curious why you don't want to use a cloud layer though.

- Oshyan

Chris-HB

Thank you for your reply, Oshyan. I was looking for a familiar and simple solution. The fog should be uniform, without any structures as in clouds and without the need to translate a disc first (as it is needed for clouds). Your example really helped me a lot. This looks really interesting - exactly what I was looking for. :) :)

Thank you!

-Christoph

Landschaft-2-14.jpg

Oshyan

N-drju

I'd seriously just stick to a cloud layer... Read on.

You can create a uniform, structureless layer of fog, simply by having no density modulator (fractal for distibution) and just adjusting the "density" setting.

What do you mean by "translating the disc" though?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

Quote from: N-drju on September 02, 2019, 02:01:29 AMI'd seriously just stick to a cloud layer... Read on.

You can create a uniform, structureless layer of fog, simply by having no density modulator (fractal for distibution) and just adjusting the "density" setting.

What do you mean by "translating the disc" though?
I absolutely agree. It's a piece of cake to position the cloud. And you can use the existing atmosphere without having to tweak it as well.
Just in case you want to try it: start with a V2 cloud. To my taste they are perfect for simulating fog, and they render much faster than V3 clouds.

Dune

I was about to say the same, much more control too in altitude and thickness, and such.

Oshyan

I do agree that a cloud layer is probably the better way to go. Keep in mind that most of the current cloud presets - the "Easy clouds" - will not allow you to have a blank density function. Best to use a v2 cloud layer (currently available as a "Global cloud layer" preset), as others mentioned.

v3 clouds have the same control over altitude, thickness, etc. ;) They are, however, restricted to being "localized", although the area can be quite large. *Easy clouds* are more limited, but they are not the only available example of v3 clouds.

- Oshyan

Oshyan

I have split the subsequent discussion into a thread of its own to discuss v2 vs. v3 cloud control, easy cloud masking, etc.
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26915.0.html

- Oshyan