Millennium falcon flying

Started by Hannes, September 23, 2019, 05:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Here is the animation part of this thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26961.0.html

I'm planning to create two additional scenes around this one. I'll see...

It wasn't easy at all, although the scene is quite simple. I needed motion blur of course, but TG's internal motion blur (3D and 2D) doesn't work, because it's only camera blur, so the object is heavily blurred as well.
So I rendered everything without motion blur, but I had to use a mask to separate the BG from the falcon in After effects when I tried to create the motion blur in postwork, which is far aqay from perfect. A lot of fiddling around.
I hope there will be some decent object motion blur in TG soon.

Edit: the movie doesn't upload!!!!!! See this thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26971.new.html#new

I'll post it as soon, it's possible... :(

Dune

In a planet situation I had some interstellar device at front, some planets much further away, and I moved the camera over a few frames, then set motion blur, and the device was blurred. So if distances are really big that may help to fake object blur. But that was for a still.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on September 23, 2019, 06:15:14 AMIn a planet situation I had some interstellar device at front, some planets much further away, and I moved the camera over a few frames, then set motion blur, and the device was blurred. So if distances are really big that may help to fake object blur. But that was for a still.
I did that before, and it's cool, but in my case it doesn't work. Nevertheless thanks for the tip!!

Hannes

Is it only me, or does anyone else have this problem recently? It always worked for me. Maybe someone of you could try to upload something with the size of let's say 4MB and see, if it works? Even a rar file didn't upload, so it's not file specific... >:(

Hannes

Dune

dorianvan

Nice work. Would be good to see the shadow of the Falcon traveling along the ground too. And maybe some heat wave behind it.
-Dorian

Hannes

Quote from: dorianvan on September 24, 2019, 11:24:01 AMNice work. Would be good to see the shadow of the Falcon traveling along the ground too. And maybe some heat wave behind it.
Heatwave sounds great!
Actually the shadow is where it belongs: out of sight ;D.
Seriously, I'd love to see the shadow too, but I chose a high altitude of the sun to get good lighting conditions from each point of view.

Dune

Heatwave sounds like an intriguing enterprise. Immediately a locally (behind the craft) and slightly displaced glass pane comes to mind, distorting the further terrain. Perhaps even with a smoothing shader. No idea if that could work. Be sure to set subdiv settings to 1, if you try this (at home).

Tangled-Universe

Very cool Hannes!
I love the suggestion of a traveling Millennium Falcon shadow on the surface.

Quote from: Dune on September 25, 2019, 02:48:23 AMHeatwave sounds like an intriguing enterprise. Immediately a locally (behind the craft) and slightly displaced glass pane comes to mind, distorting the further terrain. Perhaps even with a smoothing shader. No idea if that could work. Be sure to set subdiv settings to 1, if you try this (at home).

Yeah exactly. I have a .tgd somewhere where I did the same with a water shader on a plane. It works. Reflections should be disabled if I recall correctly.
Smoothing shader I would avoid though. A low octave noise achieves similar results to applying a smooth filter shader on the same noise with more octaves, but it would be slower (another node to process).

Dune

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 25, 2019, 10:26:58 AMA low octave noise achieves similar results to applying a smooth filter
Actually I was thinking about that this morning, and about to test it. If setting smallest size to 0.5 and comparing that to a smallest size 0.1 and smooth filter of 0.5. I had the impression that everything is really smoother with a smooth filter applied. Going to test anyway.

KyL

This is really cool!

I like the way your damaged the Star Destroyer, the mesh displacer works wonder on this! Great sense of scale as well!

Tangled-Universe

Hannes, just curious, could you post your render settings for an animation like this?
For example, detail blending?
Or did you just hit the animation check button?
What were render times, if you rendered it yourself?
TG became quite a bit faster recent years and render services like PixelPlow cheaper, so I'm leaning towards trying some animations myself too, though not as fancy as yours I guess.

Cheers,
Martin

Hannes

Actually, I didn't use any fancy settings. I didn't touch Detail blending, because in this size it's more some sort of a test. I used the path tracer, which increases rendertimes of course, but with MPD/AA 0.6/6 and the robust adaptive sampling each frame took around ten minutes.
At the moment I'm rendering a test animation with the cameras animated in 3ds max and imported into TG. It's a total of 600 frames, so I'm rendering at 0.4 K (sounds much better than 400 px wide!!! ;D )

Hannes

Here is a single frame of the sequence with a cockpit camera. It's rendered as a 400 px image upscaled to 800 px. Tiny, but good enough for testing purposes.

Unfortunately the imported camera is rather shaky. In 3ds max it was an absolutely smooth animation. I tried everything and did some tests with FBX and the plugin by emecstudios (which seem to be gone...) as well. Couldn't get rid of the shaking. I was planning to add some handheld effect, but it's a bit too much. I'll post it, when it's finished.