Revelation and Evolution

Started by RichTwo, September 24, 2019, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

I took a stab at something I wasn't sure would work.  But it did, so I think.  This is Terragen and what it can do.  With the quality app and generous members who are happy to share!  Much of this is Mick's doing.  And just an idea I got from Dune.

Right here and now I will say that of any of the nodes that I used to think had little or no realistic use, it was the Strata and Outcrops.  Too regular.  Uncontrollable.  Omnipresent.  Annoying, even.  But here it is a major part, mainly due to masking with a PF node.  Like I said - I wasn't sure.  But it did and though not "perfect" is what I wanted in a sense.

Yes, I am happy with this result.  I got what I wanted.
They're all wasted!

Dune

Turned out really nice. But you never figured you could mask the strata shader by a PF? You just have to do so carefully (not too small sizes, or you get spikes) and you can mix a lot of different (angled) strata shaders that way and get totally wild but natural results.

Another little trick; you can do the same with some differently angled tilt&shear shaders each on a surface shader, each masked by PF or several PF's. New worlds open before you :o

RichTwo

Thanks, Ulco - your points are well taken here.

We Americans of a modest background have a saying that goes something like "He / she just fell off the turnip / cabbage wagon" which implies one's naivety or a lack of understanding.  I'm one of those in a sense. 

So, no - I really haven't gotten into the use of masks unless someone (such as you) else has already done it for me.  I am just beginning to take some of the premade files apart at the "detail" level to see what does what and how it works in a basic way. 

And yes, sir - a lot to learn, and slowly.  One thing at a time for me.  It was a long fall off that wagon.
They're all wasted!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 25, 2019, 02:41:49 AMTurned out really nice. But you never figured you could mask the strata shader by a PF? You just have to do so carefully (not too small sizes, or you get spikes) and you can mix a lot of different (angled) strata shaders that way and get totally wild but natural results.

Another little trick; you can do the same with some differently angled tilt&shear shaders each on a surface shader, each masked by PF or several PF's. New worlds open before you :o
Thanks Ulco, for some reason I've never masked the tilt and shear shader..will play with that later...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

RichTwo

It will take me some time to sort it all out to see what does what and how.  But thanks for the share!
They're all wasted!