Underwater again

Started by gasbutan, November 27, 2019, 04:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasbutan

After some successful discussions on optics and underwater effects one more render:

LRM_EXPORT_701637261500303_20191127_223525880.jpeg

bobbystahr

nicely done, great caustics effect.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Very cool render! You managed a very nice balance between under and above water. Refraction at 1.33? Have you tried 3 shifted suns already? And soft shadows might give a softer shadow of the fish.

gasbutan

Thank you both.

Yes, refraction is set to 1.33.
I tried the 3 suns already here:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27277.msg271199.html#msg271199

Soft shadows are a good idea, I will try it.

DocCharly65

Ariel DK

Woow! how did you done that? any hint? :o
Many users literally fighted with this issue for years... Nice work!
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

gasbutan

Here is a clip file for the water.
An imagefile for the caustics can easily be found in the web.

Have fun experimenting. ;D

water_with_caustics.tgc

Ariel DK

Quote from: gasbutan on November 30, 2019, 01:13:29 PMHere is a clip file for the water.
An imagefile for the caustics can easily be found in the web.

Have fun experimenting. ;D

water_with_caustics.tgc
Oh, thanks a lot!
I will take a look later...
Waiting to see more of your work around here :)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

gasbutan

Dune

Wonderful! You have some beautiful fish, and its reflection is great. One thing; there's grain in the sky. I wonder if you cut off your underwater cloud at water level, or does it extend a little above water? Then that might cause grain because of the transparency and maybe low RDM (Ray detail multiplier in render settings). Don't know for sure.
Otherwise it might be atmo quality settings.

gasbutan

Thank you, Dune.
You're right. The cloud extends the water surface. Something I should improve.

Btw: the fish are for free:
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-tropical-fish-pack-3d-model/652729

Oshyan

As far as I know RDM should not affect noise, it controls geometry subdivision density. Noise sampling is separate. (Matt may correct me :D) I'm not sure if a cloud extending below the water surface should have any effect either. Sampling atmospherics through water may make sampling more difficult, that's a possibility. It may also just be that some render settings are not optimal and are undersampling the atmosphere and clouds, whether due to low AA, high Pixel Noise Threshold, low atmo/cloud sample levels, or something else. The original (first) image also had a fair amount of noise in the atmo. Post processing may also be bringing out the noise more.

- Oshyan

Dune

With default or near default settings a blue sky is never grainy, so if that's the case it should have to do with the water itself. I have often seen reflections of clouds being more grainy than the clouds themselves too. Hence my suspicion.
And I actually mean cloud extending above water (doing the hazy underwater distance), not underwater. That would probably contain more grain as it's denser and if that extends a meter or so above water level, it could be enhanced into real grain.... somehow.

gasbutan

Here is the render with a thinner cloud layer.
Edge sharpness is set to 100, the upper level has the same height as the water surface.
Still grainy, but less visible because of the darker sky.

tg4_004d.jpg

Dune

The underwater murk/cloud has no grain, just the sky. Have you tried (a crop) with a RDM at 1? Any difference then? Maybe the cloud and atmo settings just need higher values?
How did you do the underwater cloud anyway? I just increased density, not edge sharpness, and used no density fractal as input, and no taper top and base.