Horizontal dark patches when using depth of field

Started by Antoine, December 11, 2019, 03:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine

Hello,

In my new scene I have rendered, there are horizontal dark patches in the snow when using the depth of field (pathtracer and standard renderer version) I am using the last version 4.44.
Does anyone know how to solve this please?

DOF artifacts.jpg

Dune

I don't think they have to do with path tracer or depth of field, but look like some stretched fractal in the snow shading. Can you post a tgd, because it's hard to see on such a small image. Is the snow mapped from an external source? Maybe it's in the snow maps then.

Antoine

This is not the snow shading, that's just a color map. I forgot to tell that these artifacts disappear when I uncheck the Depth of field.

Dune

That is strange. Then I wouldn't know, and you probably need Oshyan or Matt to find out. Sorry.

Antoine

I have just found where this come from : These are in fact two dark lines that correspond to the focus distance of the depth of field, (with an aperture of 10).
I don't know what it is, but here are two examples with a focus distance of 1600 and the other of 4000 :

DOF-1600.jpgDOF-4000.jpg

Dune

Interesting, and I think this is a bug. Planetside will undoubtedly respond.

Antoine

Just something else : this is my first post in the new forum and I am seeing that when I post an image it doesn't open like other images in the forum that is in a new window.
I simply add the image, then upload and then insert. Is there something else to do ? I would like to know before posting my image scene in the image sharing section.

David.

Dune

I don't know exactly, but I think when it's small it's inline anyway, when it's bigger it's popup. You can experiment with different settings and edit your post every time, see what happens with different insert techniques available. I never bothered, actually.

Oshyan

Very strange. Can you provide a .tgd to demonstrate the problem?

Re: image posting, if you do not add an image "inline" (with provided buttons on attachments), they will show up at the bottom of your post. Inline images are click-to-expand.

- Oshyan

Antoine

Hi Oshyan,

This problem can simply be reproduced with the default scene that load when opening Terragen, for example :

- Set the camera altitude to 100
- set the sun elevation at 10
- Set the base colors all white
- For the depth of field, set the focus distance at 500 with an aperture of 10

You should see the 2 dark lines. If you change the focus distance, these lines will move accordingly farther or closer:

Oshyan

Thank you, that was helpful. It appears to be a problem with the "noise reduction" feature of 3D DoF. If you avoid use of the noise reduction it does not seem to occur. I will file a bug report for it.

- Oshyan