ArmorPaint - Free 3D PBR Texture Painter

Started by WAS, January 11, 2020, 03:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Found this today irrelevantly while looking for something else. Looks pretty cool.

https://armorpaint.org/

Ooops, looks like it's 16 euros, actually. This is why I am avidly against Gumroad. Things labeled Free are usually some sort of promotion, terribly labeled.

Kadri

Yes. Found it out only at the last step.

Upon Infinity

How is PBR functionality in TG these days?

WAS

Upon Infinity

So functional, but difficult?  Any samples from anyone?

Oshyan

Upon Infinity

Upon Infinity

WAS

Quote from: Upon Infinity on January 29, 2020, 07:13:55 PM
Quote from: Upon Infinity on January 24, 2020, 03:54:27 AMHow is PBR functionality in TG these days?
I got my answer.  It needs work.

May I ask what you feel needs work? I work with PBR often in TG and can obtain often better results than source examples.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: WAS on January 30, 2020, 12:28:39 AM
Quote from: Upon Infinity on January 24, 2020, 03:54:27 AMHow is PBR functionality in TG these days?

May I ask what you feel needs work? I work with PBR often in TG and can obtain often better results than source examples.
Simplification.  While the results might be acceptable, using PBR should be no more complicated or time-consuming than using standard diffuse and normal maps.  For me to implement multiple PBR objects in TG would be an incredible head-ache. 

But I understand.  TG is a highly biased landscape renderer, not an object renderer.  PBR is still new-ish and TG just still lacks full PBR support. They will likely get there at some point.

WAS

Quote from: Upon Infinity on January 30, 2020, 01:05:00 AM
Quote from: WAS on January 30, 2020, 12:28:39 AM

Simplification.  While the results might be acceptable, using PBR should be no more complicated or time-consuming than using standard diffuse and normal maps.  For me to implement multiple PBR objects in TG would be an incredible head-ache.

But I understand.  TG is a highly biased landscape renderer, not an object renderer.  PBR is still new-ish and TG just still lacks full PBR support. They will likely get there at some point.

In a lot of instances it is just a manner of standard diffuse and normal maps. The only instances you're doing anything special is metallic materials, and materials incorporating SSS or glass.

Saving a TGC for these scenarios allows you to simply replace image maps like any other program. Utilizing a transform shader at the end allows easy scaling outside individual image maps besides disp tolerances.

Gotta think outside the box a little bit, no offense.

Seeing your material-based TGOs on your shop, I'm surprised you're not aware of setting up materials in general, which is the same for PBR.

Upon Infinity

Not entirely sure we have the same opinion on what constitutes PBR...   :P 

Suffice to say, most of the stuff I was looking at would fit into your "special" instances.

WAS

Quote from: Upon Infinity on January 30, 2020, 01:32:40 AMNot entirely sure we have the same opinion on what constitutes PBR...   :P

Suffice to say, most of the stuff I was looking at would fit into your "special" instances.

Well, what constitutes a PBR material for you? PBR materials are only handled by renderers that are following PBR standards. Besides that bit they're just materials, they're the same setups as any other material, the maps just handled differently when baked/generated, but only a renderer handling PBR will interpret them correctly.

The only real special tricks is setting up your metallic mask for two different types of surfaces. The rest is the same as any other material... than you can save this setup as  TGC and save yourself the effort, making it a matter of replacing images, again, like any other material. And with PBR materials you're usually setting roughness to 1, and leaving it be for correct evaluation by the path tracer, cutting out material adjustments like in standard, making it a little easier there.

I'm still stumped on what you think is so hard from how materials work in TG inherently. Even old non-pbr materials still might need metallic masks for different aspects of the texture and reflections incorporated. What about glass? Same deal.

So it seems you're really just having a issue with TGs materials in general.

Upon Infinity

That must be it... ::)

WAS

Quote from: Upon Infinity on January 31, 2020, 04:05:13 PMThat must be it... ::)

Must be. Literally no difference from any other material in TG besides rendering in PT (and 1 roughness). Lol