Low level cloud control

Started by james adamson, February 08, 2020, 07:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

A few things have changed ever since, so I'd have to update it.
I will check your file and see how/if I can make it work and post here again with explanations.

james adamson

Ignore the sgi image issue. Nuke playing up. Looks fine but the exr is just black and white. It seems to  have lost all detail.

james adamson

Tangled-Universe

I'm checking it out, but I'm running into some issues which make me wonder if the functions are still working properly or changed slightly in the way they are supposed to work.
My approach described in that PDF does not work (for me) anymore.

I'll report back later...

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 09, 2020, 06:20:21 PMI'm checking it out, but I'm running into some issues which make me wonder if the functions are still working properly or changed slightly in the way they are supposed to work.
My approach described in that PDF does not work (for me) anymore.

I'll report back later...

Yeah I mentioned this in another topic. Even disp to scalar in my older projects that was setup nicely with colour adjusts is now more or less looking flat.

james adamson

Cheers guys.
Im attempting to get it working.

Tangled-Universe

Sorry I haven't had time yet, but should have more time tomorrow.

james adamson

No worries.
Your existing tutorial has given loads of pointers and stuff to play with.
Much appreciated.
James.

pokoy

Hmm this would back up my suspicion that some things don't work the way that used to. I remember setting up clouds to follow the terrain way back and it worked, tried a few times with recent TG versions and it didn't... but I gave up instead of trying harder. Intrigued to see where this is going.

WAS

When I asked about this in a topic Matt was involved with I believe he said nothing has changed, so it's a curious topic.

In the meantime you may look into the technique I posted year back or so about using surface layers to simulate cloud layers within one single large depthed cloud layer. These surface layers can be warped on Y giving you much easier control.

Tangled-Universe

OK this is test 1, a very basic one.

This .tgd contains 2 note shaders with explanations.
The 3D preview mode is better in RTP or use renders instead, it's pretty fast.

So base functionality is still intact.
Next will be a more realistic user scenario, because who builds sinus terrains...

WAS

Here's a cloud layer redirect example as well. With this version, because of the large depth, you may need to compensate voxels. It can be a little more art directive I think cause it's easier to control disp/warp input. Settuping up the cloud layers themselves is annoying though.

Tangled-Universe

Interesting with 0 downloads for my file that you manage to conclude your setup is more art-directable and easier to control disp/warp input.
But thanks for sharing your method anyway.

In the meantime I will work on re-evaluating the intended workflow as designed, because I want to keep the discussion as simple and concise as possible so that everyone can benefit from James's request for help.
This is James's topic, remember. He needs help and is relatively new, so let's keep things simple and centralized and not make a competition out of it.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: WAS on February 12, 2020, 01:43:31 PMHere's a cloud layer redirect example as well. With this version, because of the large depth, you may need to compensate voxels. It can be a little more art directive I think cause it's easier to control disp/warp input. Settuping up the cloud layers themselves is annoying though.

I just checked it out.
Definitely a nice study object, but no way...really no way that a starting user can understand what you are doing here. This is not helping James or other people struggling with this, I'm sorry.

Matt

Martin, there is an incorrect connection in your setup. You'll need to connect the Sin rather than the Displacement Shader.

I think both of these examples are different enough that it's not fair to assume that one is easier than the other.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.