Strange alphas from render elements

Started by james adamson, March 02, 2020, 04:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james adamson

Hi all.
I have just rendered a test frame with some alphas. The alphas do not look as expected. The cloud alpha looks fine and the atmos I can use. I would just expect them all to have no colour information.
Any ideas anyone? I have posted stills. Also how would I go about getting a separate alpha for the population?
Cheers.
James.

james adamson

That was unhelpful. I have renamed the files incorrectly. The one named surf alpha is the atmos and the atmos is the surface.

Hetzen

Digitalguru put together this very good tutorial on how to render and composite elements here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihY_kp2rzxg&feature=youtu.be

In a nutshell, TG renders these elements into linear colour space. The alphas are 3 channel to allow for light transmission, which you tend to invert and Multiply blend over an image, to then Add blend your other elements on top.

james adamson

Hi Hetzen. Thanks for your response. I am comping in Nuke so everything is linear and I have rendered exr's from Terragen so did not expect the alphas to look the way they do and yep that elements guide is the one I followed so I must have missed a trick.
I will take another look at digital gurus guide.
Cheers.
James.

james adamson

As the guy said in the thread I have just read. OOPS. I had atmos visible in the render layer so I reckon thats what is giving me strange alphas. And like the previous guy Im gonna blame lack of sleep!

james adamson

Nope, that did not work. It turned atmos off for main render.

Matt

In tgSurfAlpha the sky should be black. Do you have an object in the background or is it just the default background sphere? The background sphere in the default scene uses a Constant Shader, and the Constant Shader has its alpha set to 0. If you replace this with another shader you may have reset its alpha to 1.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

james adamson

james adamson

I have used an image map connected to a default shader. Default shader settings are diffuse o luminsity 2. ( i think its its 2.) 
Where would I change the alpha?
Cheers.
James.

james adamson

There is no sphere in the background. Have I deleted it by accident?

james adamson

So I am not sure what to do about the alpha issue there are no obvious inputs or settings on the default shader. Also I will be replacing the background with an updated version of the same image so have unchecked atmos/cloud on background.

Matt

Unchecking "Atmo/cloud on background" will have no effect if the background has an alpha of 1. "Background" means any pixels with 0 alpha. With your image map shader connected to the background, this is now a surface just like any other, and the renderer does not know that it's meant to be the background. It may be possible to set the alpha to 0 by chaining a Constant Shader before the Image Map Shader but I forget whether this works. I'll try it later.

Since you're replacing the background, isn't it better to disable this object/shader anyway?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

james adamson

Its a place holder. I am using it for lighting and reflections. So the image map by default creates an alpha whereas before it was just black with a constant colour? How comes the constant does not also create an alpha?