is there a road map?

Started by Nala1977, April 27, 2020, 04:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

hey  guys, was wondering if there was a sort of roadmap or where the development is being put into, what we can expect from future updates?

gao_jian11

I'm looking forward to it. The good news is that the latest version can now open multiple preview windows, and it won't crash when you click Render when opening rtp, which is great. My amd2990 can finally exert its ability.

gao_jian11

I want to know the progress of the vdb cloud export function discussed in the beginning?

WAS

It's been private for a long time now. I'm not actually sure what the reasoning behind that is for a commercial in-development software.

pokoy

Quote from: gao_jian11 on April 27, 2020, 10:43:31 PMI want to know the progress of the vdb cloud export function discussed in the beginning?
AFAIK it's only available in the Linux version. Windows/Mac seems to be harder to implement but I don't know any internals. Waiting for it, too...

WAS

With windows 10, at least, you should be able to enable Linux Compatibility Layer or whatever it's called under Windows Services, and than install Ubuntu from Microsoft Store, and you can open a Linux command prompt from anywhere and run Linux software like the Terragen render node. I am fairly confident it won't have much of a performance impact in rendering or exporting vdbs.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: WAS on April 28, 2020, 06:50:25 PMWith windows 10, at least, you should be able to enable Linux Compatibility Layer or whatever it's called under Windows Services, and than install Ubuntu from Microsoft Store, and you can open a Linux command prompt from anywhere and run Linux software like the Terragen render node. I am fairly confident it won't have much of a performance impact in rendering or exporting vdbs.
Yup!  I've done it and it works great, and it's multi-threaded too.  I've literally exported hundreds of gigabytes of VDB's.
I wrote a tutorial on it awhile back but when the new fourm came into being all the image attachments got shoved to the bottom so now it doesn't make as much sense.
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26130.msg259725.html#msg259725
Search for "Windows Subsystem for Linux" in Google and you should find some help.

WAS

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on April 29, 2020, 05:17:37 PM
Quote from: WAS on April 28, 2020, 06:50:25 PMWith windows 10, at least, you should be able to enable Linux Compatibility Layer or whatever it's called under Windows Services, and than install Ubuntu from Microsoft Store, and you can open a Linux command prompt from anywhere and run Linux software like the Terragen render node. I am fairly confident it won't have much of a performance impact in rendering or exporting vdbs.
Yup!  I've done it and it works great, and it's multi-threaded too.  I've literally exported hundreds of gigabytes of VDB's.
I wrote a tutorial on it awhile back but when the new fourm came into being all the image attachments got shoved to the bottom so now it doesn't make as much sense.
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26130.msg259725.html#msg259725
Search for "Windows Subsystem for Linux" in Google and you should find some help.
Oh wow didn't even see that! Great work. I had planned to do the same thing cause of people asking. That should be translated to the wiki imo

Matt

Quote from: Nala1977 on April 27, 2020, 04:23:20 PMhey  guys, was wondering if there was a sort of roadmap or where the development is being put into, what we can expect from future updates?

Hi Massi. I've posted something here just now:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28020.0.html
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

It's nice to see some aspects of populations being in the queue. :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"