I don't know yet...

Started by Dune, June 12, 2020, 03:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I might consider something like this for the contest. Anything goes, in terms of assets and stuff, so why not?

I also have a question for Danny; what final color adjustments are allowed. Can we adjust colors from sort of daytime into nighttime? Things like that can be done within TG, but it's a lot of work to change all object materials. A bit of post is easier. So what is allowed?

N-drju

Looks good, nice entry. So what assets did you use?

Not sure why you would need to change the shaders when shifting from day into night? A shirt is always a shirt, no matter the time of the day...? :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Assets are still a secret :-X 8)

Well, colors at moonlight are always less saturated. Your eyes can't catch color very well in dark circumstances. Giving everything procedural a grey-bluish tint is not the hardest, but the object desaturation can only be done per object.

luvsmuzik

Well, at first I thought there would be stone tablets, but I see we have an ox and cart in the fray....very nice models and outstanding environment. :)

Kadri

Looks great already Ulco. Especially the background terrain. I love it. It is Terragen, isn't it?

j meyer

The woman on the right is walking tiptoe, is that intentionally?

Jo Kariboo

I really like the mountain in the back and the layout of the characters. I think another type of light could increase the realism of the scene. It often happens that with a cloudy sky the image becomes flat and this is more obvious with 3d, here it looks more like a painting than a photograph.

DannyG

Quote from: Dune on June 12, 2020, 03:58:25 AMI might consider something like this for the contest. Anything goes, in terms of assets and stuff, so why not?

I also have a question for Danny; what final color adjustments are allowed. Can we adjust colors from sort of daytime into nighttime? Things like that can be done within TG, but it's a lot of work to change all object materials. A bit of post is easier. So what is allowed?
That looks awesome Ulco, this is a great opportunity for Terragen to shine. In regards to the day to night postwork that would be too much as you can simply make the nighttime settings inside TG. Then minor tweaks from there
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on June 12, 2020, 08:31:14 AMAssets are still a secret :-X 8)

I think I know what is going on here (I probably know where I should be looking) but I will hold my peace. 8) Now I have also noticed that you have probably made these characters for the purpose of the contest rather than professional work. They look familliar. :D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

This is going to be interesting. Here's another option.... what do you guys think?

No, haven't made these people for the contest, but I did change a few parts of some objects for another entry candidate, as moonlight was out of the question (so torches needed to be replaced).

N-drju

The "bridge" is an interesting addition. But the beech (are they?) populations need revisions obviously. It would be best to find plants that grow the first section of the trunk horizontally (e.g. encephalartos altensteinii) and mount them to the bridge's sides.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 12, 2020, 03:58:25 AMCan we adjust colors from sort of daytime into nighttime?
Tonal grading is allowed, but I'm wondering if going from day to night is more total pixel reconstruction. I can't speak for Danny, just what I understand from him.

From my own understanding, using Photoshop, and doing similar, it requires usually a few passes of edits to achieve realistic results, which is pretty extreme on pixel values. Especially when looking at the original work and post-work for the judges.

Dune

I read Danny's reply, so the moonlight shot is off. I know it takes a little fiddling in PS, and I can understand the requirements for this contest. It's not only the total toning, but also there were people carrying torches, and those light areas needn't be less saturated. It can be done in TG, but just too much work. If there were a checkbox/slider somewhere that would reduce overall saturation where light was dull/dark, that would be cool. But there isn't.

Anyway; speaking about requirements for the contest here's my point; I've been fooling you guys ;D  hoping for a discussion. Only a few of you were suspicious.
None of these will be my entry, but having read that assets are allowed, I took it a step further. Too far, in my eyes, and that's my point. If you make, or purchase, or find some nice photo-based assets it is not very hard to make a render that looks very photographic. In the industry, or with artists stating their points, okay, whatever needs to be used is allright, as long as it conveys what needs to be said. But in a contest it might not be all that fair. Maybe I'm too much of a purist... but I would have stated in the rules that say not more than 10% may be photo-based assets. I also know that e.g. trees are textured by photography, but the trees are still 3D objects.
The earlier renders where also largely photo-based; the mountains, and rock bridge are photographs (on a plane and on a quite simple shape, respectively). Would you consider them renders? Worthy for a contest? I think not.

So to finalize, here's another quite simple render. I quickly made an asset in ZB, used a photo as texture, and put some people and veggies on it.

My real entry will be something that shows what TG is capable of, also in terms of shaping the globe.