I don't know yet...

Started by Dune, June 12, 2020, 03:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on June 16, 2020, 01:54:50 AMAnyway; speaking about requirements for the contest here's my point; I've been fooling you guys ;D  hoping for a discussion. Only a few of you were suspicious.
None of these will be my entry, but having read that assets are allowed, I took it a step further. Too far, in my eyes, and that's my point. If you make, or purchase, or find some nice photo-based assets it is not very hard to make a render that looks very photographic. In the industry, or with artists stating their points, okay, whatever needs to be used is allright, as long as it conveys what needs to be said. But in a contest it might not be all that fair.

Haha, I knew it. ;D I just remembered your previous mention from the main contest thread. But apart from that, I have noticed that the background was sharply contrasting with the foreground. It was even more evident in the bridge shot - looked flat, almost like a backdrop in the theatre.

I also think that it would not be fair to simply put a few cards in with projected images on them and call it a day. If the goal is to achieve the highest level of photorealism, that would be the best (if effortless) way to win... But I have never doubted your fairness.  ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

Actually I didn't notice it. But I agree with you, that putting together a scene with textured cards would not be fair. Nevertheless great stuff, and the last one looks fantastic too.

DannyG

Quote from: Dune on June 16, 2020, 01:54:50 AMAnyway; speaking about requirements for the contest here's my point; I've been fooling you guys ;D  hoping for a discussion. Only a few of you were suspicious.
None of these will be my entry, but having read that assets are allowed, I took it a step further. Too far, in my eyes, and that's my point. If you make, or purchase, or find some nice photo-based assets it is not very hard to make a render that looks very photographic. In the industry, or with artists stating their points, okay, whatever needs to be used is allright, as long as it conveys what needs to be said. But in a contest it might not be all that fair. Maybe I'm too much of a purist... but I would have stated in the rules that say not more than 10% may be photo-based assets. I also know that e.g. trees are textured by photography, but the trees are still 3D objects.

lol, something like this would have been flagged in a heartbeat when viewed at full size and by our judges who have seen an image or 2 in their day. That said this guideline covers any would be situations like this:
  • NWDA reserves the right to question any entries construction and may require the artist to submit the Gathered project before approval.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

Yes, I know, but they are still assets, so where's the limit of allowed/not-allowed? Large photogrammetry rock object in front possible? Cliff face (photogrammetry) taking up 1/3 of a render? Foreground textured by photo? Skydome? Quite subjective, I'd say.
But my entry will have none of this, anyway.

j meyer

The one with the ZB asset is cool.
And stuff like that should be allowed, if I understand that rules properly.
Anyway, good luck.

WAS

That second image of yours I really like, but the tree covering the flowing fields on the mountain is obstructive imo. But the textures from image do look crap, and it's very noticeable (the mountains). The reflection on the fields too, which looks lovely, is totally not a Ulco thing, too :P You tend to have pretty flat landscapes. Think we've had discussions a few times about environment reflections and render times. I find it suitable because of realism.

Also like the latest cliff walk one, though. Is that the old cliff scene reworked?

Dune

I did not put very much effort into these renders apart from finding the 'assets', so just plumped some trees down, and tried to get it a bit coherent. And molded some simple cliffs. The reason I posted these was only to stir a discussion about how much purchased/found assets were allowed in a contest like this. Should most be handmade by the artist, featuring his/her skills, or can items be gotten elsewhere and imported, and rendered out to get a render as photographic as possible?

And no, the latest one is a newly molded sheet, on which I put some people. Part on the right is a rotated copy of the path mold. At first I left the whole planet out, but did put it on in the end for some far ground. Very easy, very simple. The only problem I encountered here is that you can't get a location from rightclick in viewport on an object.

But how can the textures from image look crap? It's a photo, the whole background. On a plane just behind the rock wall with the holes.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on June 18, 2020, 02:08:19 AMBut how can the textures from image look crap? It's a photo, the whole background.

I guess Jordan meant crap, in the photo "zero effort required" sense.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Dune

Just submitted mine, I've had enough of it. Tried some chromatic abberation as a final 'photographic' trick, but decided not to, as it makes it a bit softer and I just don't like it.
16 hours PT render, just some auto color adjust at 50%, and that's it. No other asset trickery.
I won't post here, as I don't want to scare you guys ;D ;D

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on June 21, 2020, 06:32:19 AM...Tried some chromatic abberation as a final 'photographic' trick, but decided not to, as it makes it a bit softer and I just don't like it.

If it wasn't for my very sharp post worked latest image i would try to put a joke about Hannes here...  :)

And come on...please post your image Ulco  ;D

Hannes

Quote from: Kadri on June 21, 2020, 07:34:33 AMIf it wasn't for my very sharp post worked latest image i would try to put a joke about Hannes here...  :)

And come on...please post your image Ulco 
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, come on, Ulco! Don't hesitate!

Dune

Well, as it's on the NWDA site anyway, why not. Enjoy!

N-drju

Very nice. And I see you have found a nice middle-ground regarding the mist.

I'm just a bit afraid that the rider in the back is about to cause some mass casualties. :P