WIP - First Arrival to Alpha Cassiopeiae

Started by N-drju, May 12, 2020, 02:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Update, as promised. Jordan's suggestion to tilt the view was spot on - more space for the clouds. I just need to tweak the thunder lights - they seem quite overdone despite looking good in the RTP.

Some stones in the canyon, some fake grass here and there (it was already present in the Jurassic... now, was it?) so the new world doesn't look all that barren.

WIPpost1.jpg

I can't decide if the light overall is fine given the stormy conditions in the distance. Perhaps I should go for a more shadowy, darker environment (but not scary at the same time), add more cirrus or cumulus beyond the field of view. I'll keep thinking about it.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

I would not go too far lessening the thunderlights. That landscape is quite the competition for the terrific sky. Your hard work is paying off with this image. Yes, sun direction and reflections much improved. Well done!

N-drju

Quote from: luvsmuzik on June 01, 2020, 09:07:30 AMI would not go too far lessening the thunderlights. That landscape is quite the competition for the terrific sky. Your hard work is paying off with this image. Yes, sun direction and reflections much improved. Well done!

Thank you! I am quite satisfied with the lightning areas, so yes - just some minor tweaks, nothing big.

I'll start playing with the pops and pick appropriate plants now (loving it). I plan to add some "highlights" in this field too!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

So I added a Jurassic forest to the render but once I was done with that, the water surface caught my attention...

I find it a little too stagnant. So I added some extra waves (displacement). I think it is a change in the good direction but perhaps it should have a smaller amplitude:

wat_wav.jpg

Dune

I think it looks good. maybe a tad smaller waves, but you have to take care not to get it too 'busy'. I would perhaps work on the shores more, give them a more distinct difference from higher up. Wetter, muddy beaches, dark from dead algae, some patches or a continuous vegetation... or something lighter, like calcium deposits under the floodline.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on June 09, 2020, 03:08:30 AMI would perhaps work on the shores more, give them a more distinct difference from higher up. Wetter, muddy beaches, dark from dead algae, some patches or a continuous vegetation... or something lighter, like calcium deposits under the floodline.

This is an "econo-fast" version of the shore for faster crop render. It is not as dull when everything is enabled.

There are some altitude-based stands of Macrotaeniopterae and Williamsonias covering the shores. Also, some FSS rubble from the cliffs and yes - there is a dark, wet-layer just above the water level.

The problem is that the camera is still about 70 meters (pretty much) above the water. So maybe this is why the wet area and stone details cannot be made out easily. I just hope this will get better in the final, HD render. ??? In any case, the sediment layer is an addition worth considering.

Jo Kariboo

Interesting concept, I'm curious to see a rendering with vegetations!

N-drju

Quote from: Jo Kariboo on June 12, 2020, 12:56:18 PMInteresting concept, I'm curious to see a rendering with vegetations!

This, I guess, will happen when all entries are revealed because (I think) I'm almost done with my project... :) So the next render might as well become final. Having in mind that I should create but not "overcreate".

Currently I add some colouristic flavours and compare STD vs. PT render crops. Maybe a few additional objects as well. Thank you for your support Jo. :)

N-drju

After being seriously impaired by the less-than-perfect volumetric SSS in the path-traced water that I have complained about here, it looks like I have, after several trials and error, found a way.

With a little trick of mine, my water in PT currently looks like this:

good_bigger.jpg

It is brighter than I have planned, but it's just the matter of adjustments.

The important thing is, I can now have all PT-related benefits and an acceptable level of light transmission in a sediment-rich river!

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on June 15, 2020, 06:55:40 AMAfter being seriously impaired by the less-than-perfect volumetric SSS in the path-traced water that I have complained about here, it looks like I have, after several trials and error, found a way.

With a little trick of mine, my water in PT currently looks like this:

good_bigger.jpg

It is brighter than I have planned, but it's just the matter of adjustments.

The important thing is, I can now have all PT-related benefits and an acceptable level of light transmission in a sediment-rich river!

Yes this does look like a nice middle-ground here. The transmission still looks nice, the shadows aren't super hard. Well done.

Hannes

N-drju

I guess this is the penultimate iteration of my entry. Populations and minor tweaks in "starlight" added.

Of course, this is only a standard renderer test, though I guess I reduced the quality a bit too much... Of course, the complete image will look much better with the PT enabled - less noise, realistic water (like the one above) and more depth in shadows. Looks like I'll finish the job on time. ;)

NWDA 3.jpg

Dune

Looks good! Dramatic sky and I like the lightning flashes. Curious how this will look in fnal resolution. Good luck. What size will you render out?

Hannes

Yes, this is great! Indeed dramatic. Looking forward to the final image.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on June 19, 2020, 05:20:53 AMLooks good! Dramatic sky and I like the lightning flashes. Curious how this will look in fnal resolution. Good luck. What size will you render out?
Judging by the crops I have rendered, the PT will really make an impact - I'm myself eager to see it. ;)

I think I'll go with the standard FHD (1920x1080) or a few hundred extra pixels more along the 16:9 axis. WUXGA could be a good choice as well - more headroom top and bottom.

Quote from: Hannes on June 19, 2020, 07:34:50 AMYes, this is great! Indeed dramatic. Looking forward to the final image.
Thank you!