Terrible water quality in PT

Started by N-drju, June 13, 2020, 01:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: Matt on June 17, 2020, 11:20:01 PM
Quote from: WAS on June 17, 2020, 04:56:39 PMI've been experimenting with this @Matt and I think it may be the AO/GISD like effect in dark shadows. Take this example. The actual shadows are fine, but the hard shadows at the banks are, well hard. Is this the terrain reflecting and just being really dark?

That's a reflection of the terrain. I think N-drju was talking about the shadow of the sun.

From what I can see in his "Solved" example, it is the hard reflection. His hard reflection is more aligning with the actual shadow though in his example. And both my examples, and his, Standard handles this refleciton better.

N-drju

Sorry for coming back late to this topic but...

Yes, I meant the shadow cast by the sun and light transmission in particulate medium.

I actually see nothing wrong with reflections being hard - it is natural I'd say and accurate in TG. After all, reflections in stagnating waters can sometimes be as sharp as in a mirror, right?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on June 23, 2020, 04:10:40 AMSorry for coming back late to this topic but...

Yes, I meant the shadow cast by the sun and light transmission in particulate medium.

I actually see nothing wrong with reflections being hard - it is natural I'd say and accurate in TG. After all, reflections in stagnating waters can sometimes be as sharp as in a mirror, right?

In that case something in your render settings is breaking the shadow calculation, or shader itself. Cause PT shadows are fine in any situation I test. You can see the shadow transmission through the sediment fine.

N-drju

Hmmm, strange.

Maybe it is a shader, who knows? Could you share an example from one of your trials? I'll be happy to compare once I finish rendering my NWDA.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

I uploaded the original TGD to this topic few posts back.

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on June 23, 2020, 02:06:32 PMI uploaded the original TGD to this topic few posts back.

Indeed. Looks like I have "detached" myself from this topic after a while. ;)