Rotated Heightmap / Image map ?

Started by Nathan.c, June 29, 2020, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan.c

Ok this could be a stupid question, but where do I add the rotation coordinates so my image map lines up with my rotated heightmap ?

Always have trouble with attachments.
https://ibb.co/Mgr3q73

uuderzo

The only way i found is to feed a projection camera into che image node. Set the camera as orthographic and point it down (-90 X rotation) then you can rotate on the Y axis the camera and set the projection width and height.

Hetzen

Another way is to feed the image map into a Transform Input shader and do the rotation and offset within that node. You can do a similar thing with a Simple Shape shader set to the same size as your image to use for blending.

uuderzo

Waaaay easier with the transform node! I tought that it would transform everything entering in the node, also the terrain.
But looks like it acts only on the node directly inputed.
Cool.

By the way, sometimes it's difficult to understand what is the scope of a node, or more likely i didn't understand something :D

Hetzen

Yes it can be confusing. It maybe should have been called 'Transform Texture Input', but its a legacy thing now. It used to be called Transform Merge.

Another one, Warp Input, warps the texture input.

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on June 29, 2020, 01:48:41 PMbut its a legacy thing now. It used to be called Transform Merge.

That's a different shader. Transform input is pretty fitting, and transform can be scale, rotation, or translation. As for texture, yes, somewhat, but it can transform displacement to a degree. Though Matt did talk about finally adding proper displacement transforming but haven't seen that.

Nathan.c

Quote from: Hetzen on June 29, 2020, 12:44:33 PMAnother way is to feed the image map into a Transform Input shader and do the rotation and offset within that node. You can do a similar thing with a Simple Shape shader set to the same size as your image to use for blending.

Perfect worked a treat, thanks  :)

Nathan.c

Ran into another problem now. Rotating on Terragens default 0,0,0 position works fine, as soon as I move the heightfield it goes to titsup. As far as I can tell everything is right (obviously not) see screenshot https://ibb.co/gWNZWDV

Also, If I copy/paste position from the heightfield into the translate of the transform shader it's even further off, I cant get it any closer than this.

Hetzen

Keep the image map at 0,0,0 and put your heightfield coordinates into the Transform Input. That should work.

Nathan.c

Quote from: Hetzen on June 30, 2020, 11:29:40 AMKeep the image map at 0,0,0 and put your heightfield coordinates into the Transform Input. That should work.
Sorry for late reply, wifi problem. That was the problem, thanks Hetzen and everyone else.

amandas

I use Transform Input Shader, both for the heightmap and diffuse map, works very well!
Artist / Developer
open for freelance / full project cycle
http://arturmandas.com