Rending/ Composition - Something a Little Different

Started by hmmy, July 02, 2020, 01:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmmy

Hello,

I might be alone here...but I am wondering if anyone has had any experiencing rendering a scene similar to the picture I have attached?  If so, are there any examples--or tips?

I am having trouble handling the stretching under the height map.  I tried applying a shader with a minimum slope of 90, but it hasn't seemed to do anything.

Thanks in advance!

WAS

Terragen doesn't handle straight 90 degree angles well.

Dune

You could try using a cube. I think Oshyan once posted a block thing like this, a better version than this.

N-drju

Transform input shader with world space checked? Masked, of course.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

hmmy

Quote from: Dune on July 03, 2020, 01:58:36 AMYou could try using a cube. I think Oshyan once posted a block thing like this, a better version than this.
Thank you, Sir.  I'll try to play around with the file you've attached, and will try to search for Oshyan's files to see if I can find the example you're referring to.
Quote from: N-drju on July 03, 2020, 03:21:41 AMTransform input shader with world space checked? Masked, of course.
I will have to take some time to try to understand what you mean by this. Essentially it's just the height field showing, and the terrain under X altitude is black.

I think the easiest option would be to just edit the part below out after rendered.  I will still attempt to figure it out...even if it means starting over ;)

Dune

If you'd use a cube, you should mask the terrain you add by the same size of the cube (by a pretty hard simple shape), minus maybe 1 perecent or a meter or so. Then you'd cover 99.9% of the top and don't get bulgy sides. Try this.

hmmy

Quote from: Dune on July 04, 2020, 03:10:31 AMIf you'd use a cube, you should mask the terrain you add by the same size of the cube (by a pretty hard simple shape), minus maybe 1 perecent or a meter or so. Then you'd cover 99.9% of the top and don't get bulgy sides. Try this.
Thank you so much for this example file, overall looks much better after I plugged everything in.  I set the heightfield border blend to 0.01 to get rid of the bubbling that I was initially getting (looked like terrain sitting on a raft) - I believe this is similar to what you suggested.

Here's a quick TG render:

I might just use a cube to cut the height in the future: