Terragen archeology #2

Started by N-drju, July 16, 2020, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Guys, I need a somewhat non-typical advice...

I am sure that there are, at least some people, who remember Mr. Lamppost and his Basic Grass Pack / Basic Bush Pack. I would like to use his models in renders that, hopefully, will be sold for profit, however...

The license attached to his models states;

Personal Usage: These models and textures are licensed for personal, non-commercial use only.  If you do use them please credit Mr_Lamppost and if possible include a link to where you obtained this pack. 

Commercial Usage: If you wish to use any of the models or texture maps contained in this object pack commercially please contact me here: phil@mrlamppost.com

Distribution: You may freely distribute this object pack provided that:  All of the files in the original archive including this document are included.  Individual files from this object pack may not be distributed separately.  No charge is made for the object pack.  The object pack is clearly credited to Mr_Lamppost

Clearly, his set of models is not freely available for commercial use. Of course, I have sent a mail requesting his advice on the matter, IAW point #2. The thing is it's been eleven years since these models were first published... I don't even know if Mr. Lamppost will answer the mail. :(

So here are my questions;

- Do any of you know what stipulations for commercial use (if any) did Mr.Lamppost have for his set of models? Is he still active?
- In your understanding, does commercial use in this case means elements of a 2D-image? Or use other than rendering (say, a 3D-model in a game?)

I'm really confused about it. If you can help clear up my mind, even just a little bit, it will surely be welcome...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Commercial use without explicit definition usually covers any act of profiting off said asset as far as I'm aware. Doesn't matter the medium, which is why some people will actually stipulate "Still Images / Posters" ok, or something, because it's not a usable asset but incorporated (hopefully) in someone else's work, but there are gray areas there. At what point is it the third parties art, and not the original asset creators? I've seen merchandise used with free assets a lot, where the focus is literally just the asset. I'd have a problem with that personally. It implies to the consumer it's their work, when all that is displayed, is your work.

Dune

I think it's asked a bit too much for grass, actually, the restriction to non-commercial. Grass is usually just a tiny part of an artwork, hardly visible among other grasses, flowers, rocks and whatnot. Same as in reproduction rights for paintings. I have one of my paintings on a wall. I can ask reproduction rights if the wall+painting is being photographed, and published (commercially) only if it is a bigger, essential part of that photo, or the essence of that photo, not if it happens to be there.
I can imagine though, if you render his grass as main subject, there's the restriction.

Just use other grass...

N-drju

So, I have managed to get in touch with Mr.Lamppost! My questions have been clearly (and kindly) answered.

Looks like he will pay the forum a visit, and his old site will be refurbished this year. :) The way I understood it, we may also expect some new content. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

sboerner

That's excellent news! And credit to you for doing the right thing.

WAS

FYI ngPlant can make some speedy grass for distance really easily.

masonspappy

Quote from: N-drju on July 17, 2020, 04:21:42 AMSo, I have managed to get in touch with Mr.Lamppost! My questions have been clearly (and kindly) answered.

Looks like he will pay the forum a visit, and his old site will be refurbished this year. :) The way I understood it, we may also expect some new content. ;)
That's great!!