Something IS wrong with the crop rendering

Started by N-drju, October 02, 2020, 07:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

This is a follow-up to the previous post.

So I have made a GI cache for a different resolution and rendered two test crops - difference in lighting is still visible between the crops. I would like to kindly ask Planetside to look into the matter... Is it possible that the file itself is corrupted?

If needed, I can provide a project file, but only at a later date (read: when I finish rendering the WHOLE damn image.) :'(
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Matt

There may be other reasons for differences between the crops. A couple of things that come to mind are:

- "Acceleration cache" in cloud layers. The preferred setting is "None"
- "Ray detail region" in Render settings. To avoid differences between crops the preferred setting is "Detail in camera".
- In v4.4 and earlier you might see differences in cloud GI, and the solution would be to increase Cloud GI quality in GI Settings. In v4.5 and above the GI cache files can be set to include cloud GI when they are generated so this shouldn't be a problem.

If it's caused by something else I may need to see the TGD.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

Quote from: Matt on October 02, 2020, 04:21:23 PMThere may be other reasons for differences between the crops. A couple of things that come to mind are:

- "Acceleration cache" in cloud layers. The preferred setting is "None"
- "Ray detail region" in Render settings. To avoid differences between crops the preferred setting is "Detail in camera".
- In v4.4 and earlier you might see differences in cloud GI, and the solution would be to increase Cloud GI quality in GI Settings. In v4.5 and above the GI cache files can be set to include cloud GI when they are generated so this shouldn't be a problem.

If it's caused by something else I may need to see the TGD.

I never use acceleration caches, so we may exclude this.

I have TG 4.4.67, but the differences are visible on the hedge and a shaded building wall, not the sky or clouds. Ray detail? I'll have to check after I return home.

I'm inclined to send this file over to you because this is a very disappointing story... I expect confidentiality regarding the .tgd file though.

I was hoping this has been solved once and for all after GI cache files were introduced. I'd really wish we could finally crop-render without having to worry about lighting differences. This problem seems to return every now and then...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Bez tytułu.png

Well, I'm just speechless...

Sorry, but I will definitely not browse through close to 150 assets to find "upper case / lower case" naming errors. Isn't it high time it was fixed?

I'll just go now and continue suffering GI cache problems...

N-drju

And by the way "detail in camera" does not help either.

Matt

Quote from: N-drju on October 05, 2020, 02:12:21 AMI'm inclined to send this file over to you because this is a very disappointing story... I expect confidentiality regarding the .tgd file though.

I will of course keep your files confidential.

If Export Gathered Project is not working, you can just send me the TGD, hedge and building objects, but please also include some renders so I know what to expect.

Quote from: N-drju on October 05, 2020, 11:37:45 AM"upper case / lower case" naming errors. Isn't it high time it was fixed?

I don't know about an "upper case / lower case" naming error but I will try to fix it if I can learn more about it. Did the error occur as soon as you try to export, or did it export some files and then stop part way through? Did it generate a log file in the destination folder so we can see what happened? ("Write report to destination folder")
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

We have discussed the upper/lower case issue in the past, and I may even find this thread somewhere. In any case, back then you said that it all stems from Terragen not recognizing the case in naming and Windows recognizing this. Or the other way round. In any case, this was what prevented me from gathering the project before.

Hmm... ok, if I have more time I will try to manually gather the assets. There is a ton of Xfrog however and I'm not sure if I can pack that up.

N-drju