Game of Thrones Dragon

Started by WAS, February 18, 2021, 02:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Testing out the Dragon I got from Sketchfab. Used translucency for the wings as my SSS attempts weren't working. Guess the wing is too flat. Redid the eyes and normal maps. Eyes were just a glowing glass orb over the eye texture which looked weird so just turned that to normal glass and made a luminosity map for the eye. Had a lightsource in the mouth but it didn't look right with materials.

Dune

This looks good, translucency is working subtly.

Hannes

WAS

One thing that confuses me, is the sun is infront and off to the far left side of frame, but the enivro light creating shadows on the underside of his wings comes from the opposite direction of the main lights and enviro light in the scene? There isnt any PT light hack here either.

DocCharly65

Great dragon and great translucency!

Hannes

Quote from: WAS on February 19, 2021, 01:39:43 PMOne thing that confuses me, is the sun is infront and off to the far left side of frame, but the enivro light creating shadows on the underside of his wings comes from the opposite direction of the main lights and enviro light in the scene? There isnt any PT light hack here either.
Could it be the bouncing light of the ground?

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on February 22, 2021, 04:54:05 AM
Quote from: WAS on February 19, 2021, 01:39:43 PMOne thing that confuses me, is the sun is infront and off to the far left side of frame, but the enivro light creating shadows on the underside of his wings comes from the opposite direction of the main lights and enviro light in the scene? There isnt any PT light hack here either.
Could it be the bouncing light of the ground?
Shouldn't it be bouncing in roughly the same direction? Comings from the sun hitting the ground, and coming back towards object but still in a path away from the sun. Like a check mark ✔️

I don't know how enviro light could possibly out-compete secondary rays directly from the sun at magnitudes higher frequency. Unless somehow clouds cut the suns direct lighting and all light is produced by the cloud glows, then I guess glows behind the gradon could be as strong as glows in front, but most the glows are from the hot zone in the clouds where the sun beams through, so even then I'm confused how any other light source could compete.