exporting camera as fbx to 3ds max

Started by Nala1977, March 06, 2021, 02:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

Hey guys i am trying to match a Terragen camera export to 3ds max scene without the slightest success. I used 2 methods.

1) clicking on camera > export as fbx in the camera export tab

2) file > export scene as fbx

i also pre-created a default scene microexporter to export geometry just to check the camera view/position. no matter what i do, the camera is not exported correctly.
the camera in terragen has the usual standard settings, i didnt touch much just changed the focal length to 35, and in the render settings the image set to 800/400 so with an aspect ratio of 2.

is there any particular procedure or way to export the exact camera position? i just dont really care about geometry, i would use this to match the camera position to create some 3d geometry to fit in the foreground on an external application to then composite the terragen render (background) with the 3d model on the foreground, but i need the camera position.

WAS

If I am not mistaken I think scales is the issue. TG by default is in meters and much larger than a lot of software. Like when I load TG scaled scenes in Blender nothing shows cause its so huge and outside the working area.

Kadri

I tried it in Blender and i had to import the FBX file 10 times bigger while importing.
From your screenshot it looks like you need something the other way around in 3Ds Max...not sure. Maybe like 0.1 or even smaller like 0.01.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on March 06, 2021, 08:22:46 PMI tried it in Blender and i had to import the FBX file 10 times bigger while importing.
From you screenshot it looks like you need something the other way around in 3Ds Max...not sure. Maybe like 0.1 or even smaller like 0.01.

Makes sense, I forgot I have my scale at 0.1 and default is 0.01 so that's about 10x bigger haha

I'm still unsure what these units mean though. So it's metric, and is set at 0.01000 by default. So 0.01000 of what? A meter? Lol

KlausK

Hi Nala, here is what I did:

In Terragen I export the Camera via File - Export FBX Scene...

In the FBX export dialog:

- Convert metres to = cm (default) / Scale factor = 1.000
- Export animation and Bake animation turned OFF
- Frame Rate = PAL/SECAM (25)
- Format = Current Version (v7.3)

- Turn - Use ASCII = ON
and you can open the file in Notepad and
read or change the settings in the file as you wish.

Before importing the FBX into Max:

- New Max Scene, go to Customize - Units Setup...
- Display Unit Scale: Metric - Centimeters
- System Unit Setup: 1 Unit = 1.0 Centimeters
- Respect System Units in Files = OFF

- Grid size in Max shows: Grid = 100.0cm

- Remember that TG has Y-up but 3DSMax uses Z-up.

After importing:
- Position x, y, z of the Camera is correct in Max displayed in Centimeters
- TG: x = 0, y = 3, z = -10 becomes in
- Max: x = 0.0cm, y = -1000.0cm z = 300.0cm

- Rotations are different:
- A Camera rotation value in TG set to x = -8.00 for example (pointing down)
- becomes a value of x = 82.0 in Max ( 90deg minus 8deg )

Must be a Max thing...

Maybe that helps somehow to get there.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

I forgot to mention that this is 3DSMAX 2016.
I guess the important bit is the SYSTEM UNIT SCALE and the DISPLAY UNIT SCALE.
Frame Rate and the other stuff should not have any impact.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

digitalguru

This is a way off, but I'm currently re-writing my Terraman import/export script in Python for Maya.
I'd like to create versions for other DCCs too, and 3dsMax is a good candidate.
Would be interested if there are Terragen/Max users out there who might find that useful.

WAS

Still wish I had 3ds max. I have a small savings for something. Still not sure what. Lol 

Heck wish I could find my cinema4d case, even though its a decade+ old its still useful.

BC

Did you ever up date your terraman scripts for Maya?  The links look like they are no longer active.

digitalguru

Quote from: BC on November 16, 2021, 09:14:36 PMDid you ever up date your terraman scripts for Maya?  The links look like they are no longer active.
Yes, that version is very out of date, so I've removed it.

I've been writing a completely new and improved version which is quite close to release.
PM me if you'd like to test a pre-release copy

digitalguru

regarding exporting from 3ds max:
I use Maya and script my camera exports via the .chan file export format, though I have to do some calculations to convert to a vertical field of view which is what TG expects in it's .chan data - see https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Importing_Animation_Data_from_.chan/.mov_Files

I did a quick search and found this on ScriptSpot:
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/nukeem-max-to-nuke-exporter
Haven't tried this, but it might be an option (it exports .chan data which Nuke also uses)
When I get some time I will have a play to see if something like that works out of 3dsMax

Somewhere down the line I've considered writing a 3ds max version of my Terraman script, but in the interim, a simple max camera to Terragen script might be a good test of my recently acquired Python skills :)

BC

YES please I would be happy to test out the pre-release copy of the terraman script.

BC

Quote from: digitalguru on November 17, 2021, 05:35:23 AM
Quote from: BC on November 16, 2021, 09:14:36 PMDid you ever up date your terraman scripts for Maya?  The links look like they are no longer active.
Yes, that version is very out of date, so I've removed it.

I've been writing a completely new and improved version which is quite close to release.
PM me if you'd like to test a pre-release copy

YES please!  I would be happy to test release the new version of terraman for Maya.