Global v2 Clouds Help

Started by WAS, July 05, 2021, 08:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Can anyone that has done good global clouds share some experience with us? I am struggling, and have been struggling for so long. How do you make them without them coming out like just huge perlin or voronoi noise maps?

Dune

There was once a set available at NWDA (NVSeal made it, not free; see here; https://www.deviantart.com/nvseal ). Of course you know the principle; first get some huge global patterns done, then fractionalize that in smaller patterns by mix, multiply, multiply inverse, etc. I've never dived into it.

WAS

Whatever happened to NVSeal?  Anyone know his name to find a contact? 

I doing some tests with large warping with leadin little larger than planet scale, with more warping on Y which seems to get the weather pattern effect in. Just meed to get the cloud details themselves better and varied up to look realistic i guess.

WAS

One tip I do have, is once you find something nice, export the cloud map to import in your final scene, as it renders much faster than computing all your masks and effects. You can do this by putting planet at 0,0,0, camera at 0,0,0, rotations at 0,0,0, and turn on spherical. Then, just disable the rendering of the surface in the planet, and set the v2 layer ambience to 1. This will give you a 0-1 range equirectangular map.

Gigapixel AI in Art mode can upscale these cloud maps, like 8k to 16-32k and it's AI often adds naturalized cloud shapes when reconstructing the image. So maps can often benefit, especially if from JPEG off the net.

PS don't forget to disable GISD in your export, and any other image effects (amto bloom/bloom will break the seamless texture).

Dune

That's good tip! Maybe you can contact NVSeal thru the link I added...

WAS

I honestly thought it was just an old account gallery. I thought people didn't use DeviantArt anymore  :P

WAS

I am actually having some fun trying to make these. And exporting these maps and rendering them is so much easier then trying to render complex clouds on top of a planet. Here is a sample of a map I have exported

Dune

Looks pretty good! Almost art by itself. Regarding the link; that was just something I found. I have no idea if he's still active somewhere.