Cannot save EXR

Started by Dune, August 25, 2021, 02:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

How come I can't save an .exr when the render is finished or aborted? I can on one machine, but not on my working machine. Same version 4.5.60. Same win 10.

KlausK

There can be quite a few reasons for that I guess...
Did you try to save to another location?
Does your User name have accents or something like that?
Region setting correspond to your User settings? (date, time or number formats > Administrative > Language for non-unicode programs)
Do you have full read and write rights to the location?
Is it a network location or a locale hdd?

Can you save the render in another format?

Maybe there`s more>>>>.....

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

I'll try some of your suggestions, thanks Klaus. But I find it strange that I can save as tif but not as exr. Just a different extension... and I want to save, so it shouldn't say "cannot find that file", as it's not there yet.
Can't save to another location either.
User name has no accents and so on.
Full read/write, yes.
Local HDD.

EDIT: Just tried saving on another location, and this time I could. But still strange, why can I save a tif and immediately after that cannot do that as exr on same location?

WAS

It seems pretty clear to me, it can't find the folder or file, which means encoding the folder names. TG is converting characters [or just rendering unknown characters] it can't support, thus, the path is no longer valid. Is your whole system using a different character set? Systems can encode text in different sets.

Additionally, TG uses different DLLs for TIFF and EXR, so it's not that strange one would work and the other wouldn't. They may use different I/O methods.

PS you can check encoding in powershell with "[System.Text.Encoding]::Default"

PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> [System.Text.Encoding]::Default

IsSingleByte      : True
BodyName          : iso-8859-1
EncodingName      : Western European (Windows)
HeaderName        : Windows-1252
WebName          : Windows-1252
WindowsCodePage  : 1252
IsBrowserDisplay  : True
IsBrowserSave    : True
IsMailNewsDisplay : True
IsMailNewsSave    : True
EncoderFallback  : System.Text.InternalEncoderBestFitFallback
DecoderFallback  : System.Text.InternalDecoderBestFitFallback
IsReadOnly        : True
CodePage          : 1252

Dune

I'll check that out. Thanks Jordan. In the meantime I just save on another location.

WAS

Wait, how big is that EXR do you think? Is this location not NTFS or something that can handle 2GB+ files? Shot in the dark but may explain location specific issue.

Dune

Files are only 156MB and the partition has 56 gig left, so space isn't an issue. All partitions are NFTS as well. Mystery. I may check if an automatic render output can save exr by itself....