Name that glitch

Started by ethan, September 04, 2021, 04:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethan

Hi all - trying to figure out why my big easy cloud has pieces that are popping on and off (as well as some flickering)??

Check out this video 

Also, I included the file if anyone is interested in tinkering with it. 

Thanks!
Ethan

WAS

Flickering is probably GI cache related. I'm not sure what the weird growth issue is.

Kadri

Hi,

I suspect the "4D noise (animation tab)" settings in the "Density fractal 03_1_1" mask node is the reason of the popping.
Try to disable that setting or use lower (slower) values and see if it helps.

cyphyr

The flickering is definitely GI cache related and it's not helped by the 4D noise evolution.

You can either turn off the 4D noise and use a normal CI Cache solution ie render the GI Cache for every "x" frames and set Read GI Cache Blend mode to interpolate (for animation).

Or if you want to keep the 4D Noise choose a single frame for Blend mode "One file (exact filename)"

Unfortunately 4D noise messes with GI Cache since the it changes the environment every frame.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

ethan

Thanks, Richard - this is the ugly truth that I suspected... Pretty much nothing works on these in the way of standard GI noise killing methods.  The popping effect turned out to be either Accelerate empty areas or Micro wisps. Not sure which one yet.