The Mangroves

Started by RogueNZ, September 11, 2021, 12:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogueNZ

Finally glad to be finished this project! Started with a study trying to build convincing cumulus clouds (have tried and failed many times before...), once I hade those nailed down I decided to build a tropical looking scene around them.

Xfrog Mangrove trees and photoscanned boat by Lionel on Sketchfab

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/185m88

DocCharly65

For me this looks perfect!

I like the overall mood, the landscape and the really well done clouds!

Lady of the Lake

Terrific clouds.  I am jealous.

Rezzin8

Wow I love this! Amazing clouds and the colours are really striking!!!

Stormlord

Very beautiful composition.
Your clouds are amazing, how long did you render these?

STORMLORD

RogueNZ

Thanks all, render times were very long in order to reduce the noise in the clouds... about 19 hours I think!

mhaze

Great mood, great clouds.

Balletdude

Beautiful work. If I would change anything 9and this is me speaking a a photographer) would be to pull the camera back a bit, just so we can see more of the water under the boat as it feels slightly to close to the edge of the image if that makes sense, or maybe scale the size of the boat down a tad  (again this is me as a photographer and how I would take a photo of this in the real world) Also clouds very jealous. is this just manipulation of the cloud node or is there a shop shader involved?

RogueNZ

Quote from: Balletdude on September 12, 2021, 12:16:44 PMBeautiful work. If I would change anything 9and this is me speaking a a photographer) would be to pull the camera back a bit, just so we can see more of the water under the boat as it feels slightly to close to the edge of the image if that makes sense, or maybe scale the size of the boat down a tad  (again this is me as a photographer and how I would take a photo of this in the real world) Also clouds very jealous. is this just manipulation of the cloud node or is there a shop shader involved?
Thanks! As this started as a cloud study, the foreground was a bit of an afterthought, but agree more could have been done in this area.

The cloud layer started as a simple circle shape for the density, which I warped using a redirect shader, with different power fractals plugged in for the x, y, z directions. This was a bit of a breakthrough as it gave nice cloud structure without the 'floating' pieces of cloud associated with power fractals going straight into the density. I then also modulated the density by altitude, increasing density at the ground and cloud top to create an hourglass like shape.

aknight0

Terrific work!  And thanks for sharing some tips on the creation as well!

masonspappy

Quote from: aknight0 on September 14, 2021, 05:17:04 PMTerrific work!  And thanks for sharing some tips on the creation as well!
Echo that!