Parabolic dunes.... who?

Started by Dune, November 13, 2021, 09:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I can't get it to work, so if anyone is interested in some experimentation, please do (and share). I'm looking for a procedural way to produce parabolic dunes like in the images. Preferably with a mask to get veggies in the right place.

WAS

I have an idea using the directional masks as a smear warper. I'll see.

WAS

Here is a start of something. I tried to use the bulge/zoom shader and get it to pinch the crevices to make the ends smaller but couldn't get it to work, so scratched that idea.

If you use the complement lines as a mask for the boundaries you could mix in with a smooth step of original dunes, just smaller with smooth step by clamping in, you could probably get smaller boundaries that smooth off with primary mask.

PF warp idea is kinda failed. Not sure what sort of influence heading would have when masking it.

Dune

Thanks a lot, Jordan. You gave me some good ideas. Gonna work on this.

Dune

I made a combination with a PF base (replace X to scalar and sin line by A PF voronoi 1 octave), which works pretty nice. But also worked on another 'just PF' parabolic dune setup. The latter also gives nice parabolics, but I don't know how these dark spots get there.

WAS

Oh wow, that does look good. Those dark spots is the mirage stuff I was talking about. Smooth terrains aren't read well by TG with low RDM, and thus creates strange shadows that shouldn't even be there.

Hannes

Looks indeed great, Ulco!! Good luck for a solution to make these spots go away!

Dune

Hannes

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Ariel DK

Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?