Ancient Coast

Started by Dune, December 12, 2021, 02:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

443 tot 419 Ma, so a good many years ago. A time with high CO2 values and violent storms. First small plants evolving, most creatures living in oceans. Testing, still WIP.

Hannes

Great!!!! The water is fantastic. Maybe the landscape could use a bit more detail. The rock formations are very smooth.

mhaze

Ditto, look forward to seeing where this goes!

Dune

I still have to find out what kind of erosion took place, and how hard the rock was. I kept it smooth on purpose, windswept, etc, a bit like Norwegion coastal rock. Perhaps there were even reefs, so I'm making those now....

Hannes

Cool. Looking forward to your next steps.

WAS

Yeah definitely looking cool. The terrain is a bit too smooth for my taste, could use more microdisplacement. But love the atmosphere and texturing.

Dune

Another problem with these kind of renders (without any high vegetation) is that you can't really tell dimensions. What you see in front is quite a large area.

Hannes

At second glance I thought that maybe the water displacement is a bit too rough. It makes the area look smaller additionally to the smooth terrain.

Dune

Yes, maybe so, but I can counter that by saying that it should be rough weather. I just saw a documentary about fishing vessels on the ocean, and the waves were PRETTY AWESOME.

Dune

It might very well need to be a reef-like coast. Was a little complicated to get, but I think it works pretty nicely.

Dune

Updated, and something for size.

Dune

And from afar ;D

Hannes

mhaze

Great work - crazy nodes!