Aliasing on imported objects.

Started by Njen, July 30, 2022, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Njen

I have an imported geometry object way in the distance that has crawling aliased edges (see Vimeo link below, top left). Any chance on how to remove this? I've tried a number of things that have had no effect. My Anti-aliasing setting is at 6, do I really need to go higher? I'd rather not as I am about to render a very long shot, I have attached my render settings to this post. I also have buzzing that I'd like to reduce too, though Vimeo compression crushed the hell out of the uploaded video below, it is there.

https://vimeo.com/735048717/6aaef0d43f

I am using 4.6.11 frontier build.
Thanks!

Dune

Are you sure it's AA? I also get the impression it might be flickering by reflections on leaves. But it's short and small so hard to see.
Another point; if you want to reduce rendertime for animation, check if you really need a compute terrain. Without one is faster usually, and for 'big landscapes without specific laterals or minimum angle dependent stuff' often not really needed.

Njen

Thanks for the response. I certainly do have a computer terrain in the appropriate place, which I have been testing vigorously.

The trees is actually not so big a deal. I could run the frames through a denoiser after it has been rendered. The biggest issue is the anti-aliasing crawling on the structure on the top left. I can't fix that in post.

Dune

Ah, now I see what you mean in top left. I only looked at the lower square. Isn't that reflection too? Otherwise I don't know.

Njen

I contrasted the image, and can clearly see that the obj reader geo is a lot more aliased than the native planet displaced geo.

Dune

Yeah, that's very obvious now. Strange. Maybe it's because of the distance? But it shouldn't be like that.
Btw. something else I noticed, your detail setting is 0.8, which is pretty high (especially for animation I would think). Even for stills I mostly use 0.5, which is very good already. Especially when a lot of the actual planet is covered by objects, it needn't be that high, IMO.

Matt

The adaptive anti-aliasing isn't working well in this situation. Changing the first sampling level from 1/64 to 1/16 will probably help, if you need to get this rendered right now. But I'd like to use your object and camera to test with, if possible, and see if I can improve the sampler for cases like this.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Njen

Quote from: Matt on July 31, 2022, 08:23:01 PMThe adaptive anti-aliasing isn't working well in this situation. Changing the first sampling level from 1/64 to 1/16 will probably help, if you need to get this rendered right now. But I'd like to use your object and camera to test with, if possible, and see if I can improve the sampler for cases like this.
Hey Matt, thanks for the tip about the first sampling level, that does reduce the issue a lot.

I have attached a cleaned up version of the scene with the object to this reply. Thanks!

Matt

Quote from: Njen on August 01, 2022, 04:17:09 AMI have attached a cleaned up version of the scene with the object to this reply. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this. I did some render tests and I can see the issue. I'll experiment with some ways to improve the sampler.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.