Grass? Am I just being an ar...

Started by yanek, January 24, 2008, 08:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yanek

Hello my fellow landscapers! I can't find a single tut or referance to how to get grass into ones image. Does one just go to xfrog and spend a fortune? (although I refuse to support them because of their racial insensitivity) Is there some other way to render in grass?

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

TG2 has built in grass model...you can use that!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Marcos Silveira

Racial insensitivity?!?!?
What the h... are you talking about?!?!? :-\

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: ro-nin on January 24, 2008, 11:04:28 AM

Really! Their stuff is definitely expensive, but I haven't seen anything unsavory about their product or presentation.

sonshine777

Here is a link to a grass model that I created and works well for me.

http://www.terranuts.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=505

There are other places in the file sharing threads that have grass models available :)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: ro-nin on January 24, 2008, 11:04:28 AM

Maybe he's trying to say (in a bit crude way though :)) that Greenworks isn't accurate in giving their models the right names of the race/species involved?

rcallicotte

A language barrier?  LOL.  Maybe.  But, "racial insensitivity" tends to mean the same thing pretty much everywhere.  Or not?

I have one of their packages and I didn't have to acknowledge one race over another.  But then I got the Basic with a mixed variety.  Does this make me cosmopolitan?   ;D

nvseal

Not to go off topic, but how are you liking what you got calico? I've been thinking about getting somethng from xFrog sometime in the future because all I have right now is a mix of different types of plants that people have shared (and of course, the free xfrog plants). needless to say, this makes it more difficult to get very unified looking plant life.

moodflow

Quote from: nvseal on January 24, 2008, 03:13:02 PM
Not to go off topic, but how are you liking what you got calico? I've been thinking about getting somethng from xFrog sometime in the future because all I have right now is a mix of different types of plants that people have shared (and of course, the free xfrog plants). needless to say, this makes it more difficult to get very unified looking plant life.

NVSeal, not to keep pimping Dryad, but its free and you can make some incredible foliage with it.  I was about to pay $500 for Onyx Tree Garden Suite, but I am holding off now that Dryad is available.  So far, I've been able to make the type of foliage I really wanted.

Just create a tree or plant you're happy with, export it, hit the randomizer, export another, etc. until you have a few different models of the same tree.  Open, then resave each of them with Poseray (so TG2 will like them), then import one into TG2 and dial in the surface shaders.  Once this is done, create a clip file of these surface shaders, save it, then save the model as a .TGO file.   Then load up the next model, and connect this clip file you just saved, but change the colors slightly.  Do this for each model, and you'll have plenty of sweet looking varying foliage for your scene.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

Quote from: moodflow on January 24, 2008, 04:56:10 PM
Just create a tree or plant you're happy with, export it, hit the randomizer, export another, etc. until you have a few different models of the same tree.  Open, then resave each of them with Poseray (so TG2 will like them), then import one into TG2 and dial in the surface shaders.  Once this is done, create a clip file of these surface shaders, save it, then save the model as a .TGO file.   Then load up the next model, and connect this clip file you just saved, but change the colors slightly.  Do this for each model, and you'll have plenty of sweet looking varying foliage for your scene.

its a bit of work but I think that it is well worth it!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

I like xFrog a lot.  The problem I'm having right now is that when I use large populations I have memory problems.  Not sure it's xFrog's fault; actually, I'm waiting for the next update to try some of these TGDs again.

Quote from: nvseal on January 24, 2008, 03:13:02 PM

bobbystahr

I use a model, one of about 7 in the package that I got free at RNDA, SHOCKTOBER 2005.
They need converting in PoseRay[do a search for a thread on that as well]to be TG2 friendly but they are a nice bunch of meshes...here's the URL:
http://www.runtimedna.com/news.php?viewStory=952

scroll down to SHOCKTOBER 2005. they're in the first row of that section.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

yanek

Thanks for the help, didn't realize there was grass in TG2.

Racial insensitivity because one of the flower species in their "indoor plants" has been terms a Kaffir Lily. Now for those of you who don't know Kaffir is the MOST derogatory term one can call a black person. By black I mean someone from Africa with a dark skin. I'm from South Africa where calling someone by that name can literally get you a seat in a courtroom. What irrates me is that the real name of the plant is the Clivia (and their particular model is the Clivia Miniata). Now the Clivia in South Africa is one of our more famous plants, as it was "discovered" in my home town in the 1800's. The old apartheid government (who is rightly looked upon with the same love and adoration as say the Nazi's and Hitler) used to call the plant by it's original name Kaffir Lily.

But since 1994 and democracy came to South Africa and we all became equal, it's been known as the Clivia (which I personally think is a much better sounding name anyway). I didn't even know it was called the Kaffir Lily until I saw it in bold on the xFrog catalogue. It might sound strange to non-South Africans but to see that name printed in bold sends ice through my body. I told xfrog to just call it by it's international name, and not by such an insensitive and archaic one.

That's my rant, sorry. Obvisouly it's a little close to home for me... :'(

Harvey Birdman