Grass? Am I just being an ar...

Started by yanek, January 24, 2008, 08:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

Quote from: calico on January 24, 2008, 06:27:40 PM
I like xFrog a lot.  The problem I'm having right now is that when I use large populations I have memory problems.  Not sure it's xFrog's fault; actually, I'm waiting for the next update to try some of these TGDs again.

same same... too much pop => crashes !!!

DanD

You arent alone, Onyx does the same thing. too many of anything
and TG2 just stops responding, soon as it hits 10 thousand objects. LOL

bobbystahr

Quote from: DanD on January 25, 2008, 02:48:04 AM

Hmmm....I haven't found that and I often render scenes with 1,000,000+ of the dead grass object...haven't tried that with trees mind you but I often add a pop of trees and a flower pop to the base grass....renders all right as well. If it locks up I CtrlAltDelete out and restart, reload the app and retweak if I haven't saved just before and it seems to work fine on restart of TG2.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

moodflow

Quote from: DanD on January 25, 2008, 02:48:04 AM

How much memory are you using?  I have 2GB, and have had a few million instances of certain models with no problems.  Its likely just a system memory problem.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

bobbystahr

Well as a control I just did a pop of an ONYX tree. It is 10000x10000 un textured terrain with trees every 30m...there are 130,000+ of them and it populated and rendered fine on my workstation with only 1G RAM...took 9 min 33 sec at Detail 0.25, 1 and 1 for the GI detail and sample sliders.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bigben

It's not so much the number of objects, but the number of polygons the populator has to create from those objects. grass being a simple object, should allow for larger populations than trees. Tree population sizes will depend on the complexity of the tree object

DanD

Maybe its just that model,It was an early attempt at a Sugar Maple,
I'll redo it and see if it works