Adding to additional planets

Started by PG, January 18, 2008, 03:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

I'm always partial to a good secondary planet, but I was wondering if it's possible, or could be possible, to add objects, populations or, most preferably, water, to planet objects. Won't work in the internal settings of the planet, and if I try to simply assign the second planet as the planet of choice for the lake it turns the planet into displacement mania. :-\
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Matt

What you're trying to do (change the planet associated with the lake object) should work, but you would also need to move the lake object close to the new planet to stop it creating huge displacement. I hope in future we can let you to choose which planet to associate with these objects when they are first created.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

PG

ah yeah I see what you mean. I tried it, didn't get the insane displacement I was getting before but I'm still not actually getting any water anywhere.

rcallicotte

Are you applying the water to the correct planet? 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

I'm guessing so. It's probably just the position of the shader itself. Like matt said, not close enough to the planet surface, or maybe underneath the planets surface. ::)

dhavalmistry

I tried something like this before and it was hard to get water on the secondary planet and also kinda confusing!...

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3013.0
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

PG

Could you share the tgd for that one? must find out how you got it onto the second planet without the weird displacement rubbish

dandelO

You can use a TG2 sphere object as planetary ocean cover, give it the same size and co-ords as the 2nd(or even planet1 if you want it there instead of a lake) planet then texture it with a water shader or PFS and reflective shaders.