TG2 Animation now posted...

Started by Windjammer, January 17, 2007, 01:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windjammer

Check out my web site for a fresh new TG2 animation - hot out of the oven.

www.robertbontrager.com

-Windjammer

Will

Nice man, I can see the bugs you talked about but this is just the Tech preview and when Terragen 2 is acualy releasted later this year (hopefuly) it will be easy (once again hopefuly).

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

edlo

Very nice; and the music selection its great, the only thing its that the camera goes through the mountain a couple of times.

Dark Fire

Nice sunset at the end. Just one error (other than going through the mountains several times) I would like to point out: the 'What's New' section says that the film was posted in 'JANUARY 2006'. It should be January 2007.

rcallicotte

Looks cool.  I like how it ended.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Windjammer

Quote from: edlo on January 17, 2007, 02:46:49 PM
the only thing its that the camera goes through the mountain a couple of times.

I tried hard to make sure this would not happen, but it's difficult to tell when the camera path goes through a specific layer.  I think here, the camera does not go through the mountain, but through the snow layer.  But I was not going to do another weeks worth of rendering just to fix this test anim.

I really miss Terranim's tools to creating animation paths, such as the height maps.  What made TG2 difficult is that it's hard to find your key frames once they're set.  It would be great to have some sort of notch or bullet in the time line to identify a camera keyframe. 

Another strange thing is at the end of the anim, you see the sun visible through the mountain.  I'm not sure why this is.  My guess is that it's because I had the quality setting set somewhat low.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments.

-Windjammer

Dark Fire

Quote from: Windjammer on January 17, 2007, 04:02:30 PM
I really miss Terranim's tools to creating animation paths, such as the height maps.  What made TG2 difficult is that it's hard to find your key frames once they're set.  It would be great to have some sort of notch or bullet in the time line to identify a camera keyframe. 
Perhaps some way of telling us when the camera is going through something would be handy too.

Another strange thing is at the end of the anim, you see the sun visible through the mountain.  I'm not sure why this is.  My guess is that it's because I had the quality setting set somewhat low.
Yeah, I noticed that - it's wierd. However, despite the fact that the sun shouldn't have been visible through the mountain, the sunset looks great.

edlo

Quote from: edlo on January 17, 2007, 02:46:49 PM
the only thing its that the camera goes through the mountain a couple of times.

I tried hard to make sure this would not happen, but it's difficult to tell when the camera path goes through a specific layer.  I think here, the camera does not go through the mountain, but through the snow layer.  But I was not going to do another weeks worth of rendering just to fix this test anim.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments.

-Windjammer

I am sure those details will be taken care off on the final version besides great plugins coming onto the scene.
Anyway your research and work on animation right now its quite interesting and its a great video.
Cheers.

MeltingIce

Very nice animation, graphical anomalies aside it came out really well.  Just out of curiosity though, how come you rendered so large?  1280x720 is huge for an animation.  The last time I did an animation was in Cinema 4D and it was also around 1000 frames.  I rendered at about 600 pixels wide and it still took about 2 weeks to render  :P

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Dark Fire

Quote from: MeltingIce on January 17, 2007, 04:25:55 PM
Very nice animation, graphical anomalies aside it came out really well.  Just out of curiosity though, how come you rendered so large?  1280x720 is huge for an animation.  The last time I did an animation was in Cinema 4D and it was also around 1000 frames.  I rendered at about 600 pixels wide and it still took about 2 weeks to render  :P
I always used to render at that resolution in TG 0.9. it is perfect for filling the majority of computer screens with top-quality video. It is also a good resolution to use if you want to create HDTV content.

Windjammer

Well, don't tell anyone, but all of this playing around is really "research" for a documentary I'm working on.  The documentary is 720p.  So if any of this "research" works, I'll be using it in my doc. 

oggyb

Music fit nicely I must say.  Looks like it could have been a really great animation were it not for the errors.

M.

MeltingIce

Quote from: Windjammer on January 17, 2007, 05:55:40 PM
Well, don't tell anyone, but all of this playing around is really "research" for a documentary I'm working on.  The documentary is 720p.  So if any of this "research" works, I'll be using it in my doc. 
Ahh ok gotcha, I won't tell anyone don't worry  ;)

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

buchvecny

mhmhm i always wanted to be director :P i ll try some animation when they fix all bugs

littlecannon

The Sunset coming through the mountains at the end is a bug. I remember Oshyan saying something about this in another thread. Nice animation by the way, bugs aside.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...