Road trip!

Started by Harvey Birdman, March 25, 2008, 10:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

It was rain and wet snow when I pulled off the road for a little nap. It froze while I slept - I hadn't realized it had all changed to ice until after I was already rolling. I was playing it pretty carefully, but when I touched the brakes it was all over.

Tell you, I thought I was toast for sure when the back of the car went under the semi.

::)   :)

<edit>

Here's a pic I snapped when I pulled off for a break yesterday afternoon. The route I took goes through the very NW corner of Arizona - pretty country.

</edit>

sonshine777

Great photo! Looks like it would work as a render scene. ;D

joshbakr

Damn! Glad you made it through your slippery episode. Nice pic too, but can't be Desert, too many plants. LOL if you get my drift?  ;)

Will

Quote from: joshbakr on March 28, 2008, 12:39:10 PM
Damn! Glad you made it through your slippery episode. Nice pic too, but can't be Desert, too many plants. LOL if you get my drift?  ;)

seconded.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Wonderful photo.  Great for a reference...or for just hiking.   ::)  Terragen isn't everything.  I keep telling myself.   :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Hey, all -

Tonights location - Cedar City, Utah.

:)

Just got in - no Hilton in this little burg, unfortunately.   ;)  I stayed last night at a new 'Homewood Suites by Hilton' in Palm Springs. Way nice, and all the more so since it's on an expense account.

:D

I'm going to try and get some pics in the Colorado Rockies tomorrow. I'll also post a pic of the damage to the back of the car. Felt a little self-conscious driving around Palm Springs, surrounded by Jags and Mercedes, driving my banged up, road-salt encrusted Road Warrrior. It was a trip - 24 hours before I'd been in an ice storm; then I was driving around in (what felt like) 100 degree temps, looking at the palms.  :)

<edit>
Bought a local beer, product of the Wasatch Brewing Co. It's called Polygamy Porter. The slogan -  'Why have just one?'

:D   :D    :D
</edit>

Will

Come on have another, what are you chicken?

Nice, good to see your having fun.

Harvey Birdman

As it turned out, I didn't even finish the first one. That was the worst excuse for a beer I've ever tasted. Absolutely vile.

:P

Will

Harvey Birdman

I figure it must have been brewed by anti-polygamists.

;)   :D

rcallicotte

Glad you tried something new, though you're probably grateful you aren't too polite to spit that nasty stuff out.   ;D

Hope you're having fun.  Palm Springs is beautiful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Hey, all -

Here's a pic of a little feature I spotted near the road in Utah. Nothing terribly significant, I just thought it looked cool with the erratics sitting in the foreground.

Harvey Birdman

Here's another.

I have to say that the piece of I-70 between, oh, Grand Junction, Co, and the intersection with I-15 south of Salt Lake has to be the most spectacular piece of road I've ever seen. I didn't even try to photograph the scene - the scale dwarfed any attempt to capture it. Basically, it's the region between the Colorado River and the back side of Utah's Front Range.  It is unbelievable. Think old John Ford westerns; think of the West you imagined as a child. There's an enourmous tableland, covered with grass, sage, and the occasional pine, that slope down to the west. It's riven with twisty, tight little canyons which thin out as the elevation increases on the Colorado side. Looking West, the tableland disappears into a huge basin that must be at least 50 miles across, filled with mesas. The far edge of the basin is delineated by the back side of the Utah mountains. The scale in unimaginable - you can see literally hundreds of miles of the mountain range at a time, and it's clear that where it runs out of site to the North and South, that it just keeps going. To the south the elevation drops until it runs into Zion and the Bryce Canyon area. The colors are incredible - deep reds, grays, yellows, white, green...

It really was stunning, all the more so because the portion of Utah that I'd seen before was an absolute wasteland. Funny - I think the only part of Utah a lot of people see is the section I-80 crosses. That area, between Salt Lake and Bonneville, is the most desolate, ugly piece of country I've seen. I had no idea the rest of the state was so spectacular! It defies description - you have to see it to believe it.

Harvey Birdman

... and the buggy's boo-boo.

Will

your breaklights out btw.