fake foam pt. II

Started by child@play, April 06, 2008, 06:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

child@play

hi,

don't have much time with the software, but i stumbled upon a (maybe new) way to fake foam on water.

the water's surface layer is limited by slope, 5 max, and 2 fuzzy, have fun =)
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

inkydigit

looks like a promising scene!

rcallicotte

SWEET!

Where have  you been, ol' champ?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

child@play

work mate, almost too much. but it bought me a new render machine, laptop, so i can work a bit while at work :D

perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

rcallicotte

Enjoy life.  You only get one.  And I know we need to work.  So, anyway, BLAST OFF!!!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

child@play

yeah, i'm still working for a living, and not the other way round :D

i'm pretty confident that i'll be having more spare time in the future

peejay

thanks for sharing - this looks great
adamans rebellis quod iustus nos

bobbystahr

beauty mate...been trying to stumble my way thru the sea foam issue with zero luck. This looks extremly promising..many thanks.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

child@play

this is more flexible than i thought, you can easily change the foam's color by adding a color pf as the surface layers coloring function. green foam anyone ? ;) oil on water maybe :D

PG

Any way to restrict this to a few meters from the terrain?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

lightning

child@play

Quote from: PG on April 12, 2008, 06:59:22 PM
Any way to restrict this to a few meters from the terrain?

yep, just adjust the surface layers settings accordingly, either you do so via slope and/or height restrictions

PG

but there's no altitude difference between the shore and the middle of the water, also the slope only restricts it to sections of the wave, so I still end up with soapy foam too far out, maybe masking is the only option.

child@play

just running a quick test with distance shader, looks promising. here's the adjusted tgd and a preview shot.
you should be able to adjust the foam now by playing with the distance shaders settings

p.s.: sorry for the messy .tgd

PG

Would that only work with shots where the camera is close to the shoreline though? Here's what I've got so far, I only want the foam to soften up some of the hard water edges. It's already done that to a greater extent but I now want to restrict the spread a bit. As you can see from the render the foam just goes in a kind of straight line down the water.