Fruity Loops

Started by rcallicotte, April 14, 2008, 07:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Is there anything better or comparable to this? - http://www.flstudio.com/
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

child@play

nope

well...cubase maybe, but fruity is easier to handle
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

rcallicotte

I find Fruity Loops fairly easy, except the name.  LOL  Anyway, just checking.  Thank you for answering, child@play.

lightning

fl studios a great program very easy to use
one of my freinds at school says garage band is pretty good never tried it though

Cyber-Angel

It depends on how much you willing to pay, Cubase is a good option but the software your likely to find in professional studios is Pro-Tools which is a combination of software and hardware although you can use Pro-Tools without the hardware if you want.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

dandelO

FL Studio is certainly the best one I've used aswell.
This is a link to my ...cough-cough... Myspace blog page... cough-splutter.

Ignore anything you might read there, what I'm posting it here for is the Flash MP3 player, the first 2 songs on it were made in FLStudio 6 with the slayer plugin. They're only crappy digital representations of a couple of my songs because I didn't have any recording equipment.
I may well be getting some though so, I'll be uploading some proper analogue recordings with real guitars/drums/etc. at some point in the future.

FruityLoops is a great all rounder, stick with that for sure.

rcallicotte

Thanks guys!  More information is helping.   ;D

@dandel0 - Do I need to sign in to hear these MP3s?  I wasn't able to find them.  Can you assist? 

dandelO

Sorry, Calico, I posted the wrong url. Try this one...

http://www.myspace.com/stonefinger

At the right hand side of the page you'll see the blog section, click on 'view all blog entries' to go to the page with the player on it. They're pretty rough but it shows that FLStudio isn't just good specificaly for dance/jungle/etc. style music.

rcallicotte

Thanks, dandel0.  I have played with this before (demo version) and like what it can do.  Not sure about the version...but thinking.

Oshyan

The next step up from FL in my opinion is Reason. ;D

- Oshyan

lightning

yes i have got reason 4 its easy to use and not as cluttered as fl studio

efflux

I've been through just about every audio app going, Protools included and although I don't use Windows much now I would say that FL Studio is the best app on that platform. It is maybe not so straightforward to use in UI terms compared to more standard type sequencers but it's easy and quite fast once you know how. It is actually very powerful. Not as toy like as the UI might suggest. There are lots of quirky things in FL Studio. You can "play" a picture file for example. My prime app is Logic Pro on Mac but I miss some of the quirky things in FL. It has very nice easy to experiment with random generation.

rcallicotte

Cool.  More feedback.  I appreciate the opinions.  I'll look at a demo of Reason.  Once I tried FL, I liked it a lot.

Dark Fire

Quote from: Oshyan on April 18, 2008, 12:37:45 AM
The next step up from FL in my opinion is Reason. ;D

- Oshyan
Reason is very good but, unlike Cubase, it doesn't have the full range of MIDI controllers (which isn't much of a problem if you don't use them).
I find that I only ever really need Sibelius, Cubase, HALion, Groove Agent and Audacity. Of course, they're really expensive... :'(

Arandil

Oh cool!  Music stuff,yay!

I went on a major hardware synth tack a while ago, but I still keep Cubase and misc. software toys around.  Recently I've considered selling my hardware synths and some other lightly used gear for a Receptor.  ::)  Not close to that yet though, don't have time for one thing ..  :D

One of the simplest to use loop arranger/composers is Tuareg (www.brambos.com).  Version 1.5 is really, really basic, but the UI is so intuitive, if you have a bunch of audio loops around (trimmed to loop points), you can cook up wack beats with it in no time.  The biggest drawback from me is that I love the loop slicer but it doesn't crossfade so you get pops/etc.  I've actually arranged some sliced beats in Tuareg and then reproduced them in some other free loop slicer (that did do crossfading).  I still have some unfinished stuff from Tu .. gar.  The same guy also wrote a VST host/arranger.  Tu2 is a refinement of Tuareg 1.x, a decent one, but the 1.5 UI was a wonderful creative leap, worth playing around with just to experience a really fun paradigm for arranging.  If you can customize another software interface (like Cubase) with custom controls to do the "stack of dj crossfade mixers" arrangement that Tu2 and Tuareg have, it's worth a peek just for that.

Anyone here do "live looping", a la www.loopers-delight.com?