Image paths, need help

Started by trailgirl, May 06, 2008, 05:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailgirl

I am confused about how to set up image paths, for example, I have an object (created with Cheetah3D) that has a multishader, and its Shader 2 has an image under "Colour". The image is a jpg in the same folder as my .tgd file. It works fine the first time I am in the file in TG2 (ie, renders properly), but if I save and exit and then reopen the tgd file later, TG2 says it can't find my image file. The exact error is: trimage: Cannot locate file grass_texture.jpg  So I thought in the shader, I should put in the full path to the file, but TG2 still says it can't find the file. This is TG2 Preview 3, Mac 10.4.11.

bigben

Normally I put the images and objects in the same directory and remove all paths in the object's shaders.  Is the object also in the same directory as the TGD file?

trailgirl

Yes, all in the same directory -- .tgd, .obj's, .mtl's, and the .jpg's are all in a folder called "Campus Illustration".

bigben

Seems to be a bit odd. Any unusual characters in the full path name?

Tarendol

I've actually been having what I think is a similar error - are you manually opening the .tgd file by navigating to it or are you opening it by using the 'Open Recent' dialog? I get repeatable errors (with the alpha, at least) where the program will complain about not being able to find image files by using 'Open Recent', but will open normally if I manually navigate to the file. It's so odd because if I keep working with the file from 'Open Recent' all the paths and everything are correct, it's just not doing the initial loading correctly.

Oshyan

The problem with loading external files in "Open Recent" projects is one we're aware of. Trailgirl, if what you're describing is different than this please let us know.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi trailgirl,

Forums are a bit flakey for me today, second time I've tried to post this.

The problems are due to the space in "Campus Illustration". TG2 unfortunately doesn't like spaces in file paths, which is a bit ridiculous. This is something we should address prior to the final release. A workaround would be to ensure there are no spaces in the file paths you're using.

Edit : Just to be clearer, there should be no spaces in the names of the folders that images and such are contained in.

Regards,

Jo

inkydigit

Quote from: jo on May 07, 2008, 12:16:50 AM
Hi trailgirl,

Forums are a bit flakey for me today, second time I've tried to post this.

The problems are due to the space in "Campus Illustration". TG2 unfortunately doesn't like spaces in file paths, which is a bit ridiculous. This is something we should address prior to the final release. A workaround would be to ensure there are no spaces in the file paths you're using.

Edit : Just to be clearer, there should be no spaces in the names of the folders that images and such are contained in.

Regards,

Jo

thanks for the info Jo...this could be what has been causing me to have problems with certain tgo's I have d/l'd here, and put into folders within folders(which have had spaces in the file names!)
I will rename the folders and have another go!

trailgirl

I am still having problems with this one on my Mac. This is what I've tried: I took the space out of the folder name, the path is /Users/marcia/Desktop/Campus I tried to put the full path to the image file, for example, /Users/marcia/Desktop/Campus/meadow.jpg but when I reopen the file in TG2 the path is gone. In looking at the Xfrog reader, which works perfectly, there is a full path to the tree file, the surface shader images don't have paths. So in the object reader I tried to put the full path, but whatever I type in it says it can't find it, in other words,  I delete the file name and start the path with / TG2 says "/ file not found" before I can even type the rest of the path.

I did find a workaround, when I reopen the file I go to each image filename in all the multi shaders and delete the filename and put it back in (cut/paste) and then it finds the image okay.

I don't know if this is unique to Preview 3, I can't read the file into Preview 2 to test it and I didn't use these multi shaders before.

Anyone else have this problem on a Mac or is it just me?

Tarendol, I'm opening the file with Open in TG2 rather than Open Recent (which never has any files in it after crashes).