Another little teaser with water transparency

Started by FrankB, April 05, 2008, 06:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monks

Amazing...it even looks like you have specs of foam on the water surface- don't know if that was intentional. The only weakness is the dirt- still a little undeveloped compared to the rest of the scene- trying to keep up with the amazing water shaders now! :)...but this is just a test as you said.

monks

FrankB

Hi monks,

yes the specs of foam are indeed intentional on the new render. It's simply a billowry water density function with the right sizes and white color. Anyone can do it in just 1 minute.
About the dirt... hm, I find it rather convincing especially on the left side mid-ground.
What is it that that you would improve specifically?

Thanks,
Frank

monks

Wow, that simple? It's one of those details that recalls memories of seeing things like that.

I dunno, it seems odd that the dirt underwater is lighter than the dirt out of water. It's usually the other way around- well saturated material anyway; like the large rocks are. It looks as if your surfaces have been inverted: large rocks dark->light, etc. I guess if you're looking to show off the transparency, you want to be able to see the detail of the surfaces underwater, so I'm thinking that was the reason you chose lighter surfacing. Or maybe you'll tell me that TG did that itself with it's physically accurate light modeller  ;D

monks

FrankB

yes indeed, the underwater "sand" is lighter than the dirt above the water, but that's intentionally so.
I've seen a stream have lighter underwater material (like sand), whereas above the water, there was a more brownish "soil".
You're right in that this is not usually the case.

Cheers,
Frank

monks

Yeah, I was thinking about that, and the river bed might be subject to very different deposition- maybe there's minerals, etc washed down from elsewhere or algea or whatever.

monks

Volker Harun