objects causing program to crash?

Started by darthvader, May 20, 2008, 03:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

In this scene whenever I open the file the world loads fine but whenever I try to open the cloud layer's density shader the program closes. I think it might have something to do with the large numbers of indvidual objects but when I delete the objects the problem still persists. Any help would be much appreciated :)

unfortunatly I can't attatch the TDG file because for some reason it is over 700 KB, I don't really know why the file is so large...again mabye do to the many objects :(

Oshyan

700kb is really quite large for a .tgd file. Are you animating in the scene? I'd suggest trying to compress it to .zip or .rar format (you can us the free ZipGenius if you don't have another program to do this.

I'm not sure why you suspect it is to do with the objects when you say it still crashes even after they are removed. It sounds like there is something else odd going on. Are you doing anything unusualw ith the cloud density shader such as using an Image Map as a mask or Blend Shader?

- Oshyan

darthvader

Nothing funky is going on with the clouds and there is no animation, I just inserted the cloud layer and didn't have time to do any maksing on the clouds.

Here is the compressed .tgd file as well.

Oshyan

The attached .tgd doesn't seem to have a cloud layer, so I can't even attempt to reproduce this. I see the reason the file is so big is due to the *42* separate copies of a bird model, so that at least is explained. I still don't think it's necessarily the reason for the crash, although depending on how each object is loaded it may be a memory issue. If you can provide a similarly compressed .tgd that does include the cloud layer causing the crash I'll check again and see if I can reproduce this.

- Oshyan

darthvader

That file I attatched should have the cloud layer in it; it's the same one I have been using. Anways, I've found a way round the problem, the program only crashes when I open the cloud density shader in the atmosphere menu, when I open the density shader in the node menu it works perfectly. I don't know, maybe this is a bug of some sort but I think I've found a way around it. Thanks for your help Oshyan ;D

Oshyan

I simply don't see a cloud layer here, but I'm working with a newer version. That in itself may be indication of a problem with your node configuration. Although you've found a workaround, if it is a bug it would be nice to be able to track it down...

- Oshyan