Heightfield Flattens

Started by JDex, January 05, 2007, 10:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDex

Heightfield Generators appear to not be persistant.  If I generate a heightfield, save and then close the file... when I open it again, it needs to be regenerated and is different than the original.  Also if I export the heightfield as a .lws/.lwo, it immediately flattens.

Free version and Deep+ Animation on WindowsXP SP2.

MooseDog

QuoteIf I generate a heightfield, save and then close the file... when I open it again, it needs to be regenerated

expected behavior a.t.m.

Quoteand is different than the original

odd.  can't confirm here.

QuoteAlso if I export the heightfield as a .lws/.lwo, it immediately flattens.

confirmed. 

default scene:

generate terrain,
add .lwo exporter node in-between HFgenerator and HFshader,
generate export files (a pretty cool system with the grid of objects and the scene set-up imho),
heightfield bounding box disappears,
hf flattens leaving .lwo b-box, also flat. 
click generate terrain, and it is generated w-in the .lwo box.

keep squashing those bugs!  congrats.

smvwhite

I am experiencing the flattened terrains and can't tell from this thread if it is still a bug or if it is me.

Can anyone confirm how to export an lwo?  Thank you.

Oshyan

Internally generated terrains must be re-generated every time you reload a .tgd. If you want to save the generated result right-click the heightfield generate node and Save As, specify a location and file name (be sure to add .ter as it doesn't do so on its own currently), then add a Heightfield Loader and load your outputted heightifeld. Re-save the .tgd and when you load it again in the future it should reference the saved heightfield.

To export a heightfield (not procedural) to LWO use a Heightfield Export LWO node which you can add from the Add Operator button in the Terrain layout, below the node list.

- Oshyan

smvwhite

Hi Oshyan,

Thanks for your help.  Visually the LWO node setup looked no different to what I was doing earlier, yet I ended up with a successful LWO which wasn't flat - anyway, I have it working now thanks to you.

Very much appreciated,

Steve.