Wish List for next incremental release

Started by The Geostation, January 11, 2007, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogn

Most color shaders include a color picker.
What I would like to see is a corresponding location picker for shaders and objects:
click on the location picker, and the click on prewiev to copy the the actual location to the object or shader.

Dark Fire

Quote from: JavaJones on January 19, 2007, 03:19:59 AM
After that the update schedule is less clear for the free, public versons...
:(

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on January 19, 2007, 08:02:09 AM
What I do think that needs to happen is for a feature request tracker be put on the site, with ranking system say for 1-10 for priority ranking if need be a poll could be established by one of the Planetside staff where there are some features for the feature tracker that are tied with an equal ranking.

Such feature trackers are found on the sites for some other software (Sorry don't recall which one) this let the developers stay apprised of what the community for their software feels is of the most use, and conversely the community apprised of the development progress of the software; these trackers are part of the community lead software development model, similar trackers are used for the tracking of bugs in the software.
I agree - feature and bug trackers would be very useful. I have found a good example, with a ranking system here.

Cyber-Angel

As far as future Tech Preview releases are concerned I think that these would be of greatest benefit for the testing of major new functionality or minor functionality where there could be unseen bugs before these functions are put into a new release of the main Terragen software akin to a pseudo Alpha test if you will.

Let's say Terragen one day gets a waterfall system one would have to make sure that it worked correctly and there where no ease of use or other issues with it before it was put into the software destined to become the next release of the software.

This will become even more critical as we reach higher point releases (TG2.6 Etc) on the way to the release of the next milestone release (TG3).  By the time of TG3 which will be built on the architecture and lesions form TG2 and subsequent point releases thereof it should be a stronger application in all regards.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

neon22

I'd like to see a region of interest control for the interactive window (preferably 2).
So I could just get the quick preview render happening in regions instead of the entire scene.

(Just like crop regions in renderer but for Preview window.)
That would help with the speed of interactively setting parameter values even if there is no time to optimise the renderer to be faster and/or multithreaded.

Thanks...

Dark Fire

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on January 19, 2007, 08:02:09 AM
My feeling on this is that while some, if not many of the things we wish for the final release may not make it in do not disappear as I am sure there will be many point releases (TG2.1 etc), before the release of the next mile stone release (TG3) so I am sure that along the way we will see many of these feature been implemented along the way and features that we cannot envisage at this time.
Quote from: Cyber-Angel on January 19, 2007, 09:03:18 PM
This will become even more critical as we reach higher point releases (TG2.6 Etc) on the way to the release of the next milestone release (TG3).  By the time of TG3...
Why are you so worried about TG3? We haven't even got TG2 yet!

Quote from: neon22 on January 19, 2007, 10:16:46 PM
I'd like to see a region of interest control for the interactive window (preferably 2).
So I could just get the quick preview render happening in regions instead of the entire scene.

(Just like crop regions in renderer but for Preview window.)
That would help with the speed of interactively setting parameter values even if there is no time to optimise the renderer to be faster and/or multithreaded.

Thanks...
That's a good idea - it is often only small areas that cause problems in pictures.

wimbledonian

A really stupid wish, but I would like the 'render' button removed from the full render window - I seem to have acquired the habit of accidentally clicking this instead of 'save' at the end of a render.  Or a confirmation stage would do the trick.

Ian

3DGuy

Hehe, seems I'm not the only one that makes that mistake  ::)

Sarge-David

the thing i most want at the momment is a way to get a better idea of distance and have like a grid and such so i can keep my idea of where things are, numbers are so hard to handle when you try to find that sweet spot and just keep getting confused on where to go.

remember in 0.9, there was that line that showed where the sun was proportionate with the ground, was very easy seeing where the sun was and keep track of the sweet spot for it, since i just line up the camra window with the sun window and just move it till it is at the right place

cyphyr

Bloody brilliant app so far cant wait for the upcomming releases to TG2 and beyond.

Just my pennyworth of requests, nothing to major I think. Other than the obvious (just make it faster) below are my few requests that I hav'nt seen any else asking about

1. Auto save timing editable. I know theres an auto save function atm but how frequently dose it save? As this release still hase several bugs and crashes still sometimes it would be nice to have an auto save (to the "name.tgd_bac" file) and it might be usefull to edit (in a general config file) how frequent this auto back up is>

2. Last files in file menu. Just seems obvious to me.

3. Render to disk (a few larger renders I've made have rendered fully but the app has frozen and I cant save the image. I know I could just screen cap (loosing the exr data) but might this be a more studio friendly option.

4. Fractle preview draggable. Most of the time the small fractle preview is not whete the small camera icon is. It would be realy helpfull if this preview could be "panned" about so you could studdy diferent locations andthen choose which part of the fractle you wish to use.

5. Better support of imported 3D data in view port. Something more than just a bounding box would greatly help in previewing how imported objects interact with the geometry theyre next to.

Happy rendering

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

ProjectX

1. A little mini-axis in one of the corners of the preview viewport (that rotates when you rotate the screen) so you can see which direction the x-axis, the y-axis and the z-axis actually is in relation to your view.

2. A canyon fractal (with plateaued gaps between canyons and steep edges) and an erosion shader for procedurals.

3. Batch rendering (of multiple files, not just multiple viewpoints)

4. Optimized renderingfor multiple lightsources (if possible)

I think that's it. This isn't my wishlist for the next incremental update, but more what I feel terragen 2 needs before it's finished + all the stuff everyone else has said already.

Dark Fire

Quote from: ProjectX on January 21, 2007, 01:14:30 PM
3. Batch rendering (of multiple files, not just multiple viewpoints)
This could be done with external software if the command line was working.

neon22

I would like to be able to enter a text description that was held in the tgd file.
I find I am experimenting a lot with variations and I have to name the filenames to keep track. (not enough space for anything but briefest hint at what I might be doing)

Possible?

akablueeye

Dark Fire

Quote from: neon22 on January 21, 2007, 05:20:52 PM
I would like to be able to enter a text description that was held in the tgd file.
I find I am experimenting a lot with variations and I have to name the filenames to keep track. (not enough space for anything but briefest hint at what I might be doing)

Possible?
This is already possible - click on the 'Project Settings...' button in the bottom left-hand corner of the window and use the 'Comments' box.

rcallicotte

I'm not sure if this has been listed, but it would be convenient to have the ability to select more than one node and then select the same property in all of the selected nodes to change it once.  In this way, we could then change that one setting for all of these selected nodes at the same time by one change instead of numerous changes to the same property in every node.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?