vue - Spectral Atmospheres 2

Started by reck, August 13, 2008, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Has anyone seen any screenshots of the new Vue 7 spectral atmospheres 2? It's being shown at Siggraph since yesterday.

Someone at renderosity said the following quote: "Looks like Vue's cloud system will finally rival TG2's with Spectral Atmospheres 2 :-)".

So i'm intrigued to see how they compare, the current vue clouds are pants compared to TG2 :)

reck

Only other info in that thread is:-

"The water editor will make foamy shores and waves in a click of the mouse.  Spectral 2 clouds will make you cry they look so beautiful."

Christopher

I have looked all over and i have not seen anything yet. Hopefully at the end of today we will see more examples. I'd be impressed if there clouds were anything near TG2s clouds. The water editor, well we will see.    ;D

lightning

no i dont think vue could match terragens clouds either terragen 2 just looks so real the lighting is so much better in terragen 2 than in vue vue renders just look so hazy and crappy

sjefen

I almost always get that cartoony feel with Vue renders. There are very few good looking Vue renders and most of those that are has a lot of postwork to them. I've always wanted a 3d landscape software, but Vue was never an option for me cause of this, but when I saw the first images of Terragen 2 I was sold.

I haven't seen anything from Vue 7 yet so I will not judge it, but I'll say I am very, very sceptical.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Christopher

I agree. Clouds in Vue look to soft like a overly smooth whip cream with simple edges. There is no true billowy detail nor any good internal shadows or complex light scattering so the clouds look like glorified Bryce volumetrics at best. The lighting in Vue is mirky like a greyish film on a lens if this is the best way to describe it. True that some Vue renders can become sun-lit bright but still, there is something about the lack of depth for distance (Lack of global atmospherics perhaps) and the light on a large scale just looks unconvincing overall. Maybe it's like a oil painting is what Vue reminds of.

moodflow

Vue handles atmospherics differently than TG2.  Vue is more like Bryce on steriods, and handles the scene locally (as did Bryce).  TG2 handles the scene globally.  So on a macro scale, TG2 "should" have more realistic lighting and structure...its just a matter of learning how to bring this out.

I think Vue's strengths are its procedural vegetation system (I really hope TG2 has this one day), and there are some aspects of its renderer (GI effects) that I like, though its now not much better than TG2's, if at all. 

Its kinda funny, but I spoke with one of the Vue rep's at Siggraph last year, and when he asked which app I used most, I told him TG2 and showed him some of the images I'd done in a portfolio I was carrying.  He then stated something like "yea, the clouds and atmospherics in TG2 are far superior to Vue - but don't mention I said that."
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

I can't wait to see what Vue 7 can actually do, including terrain.

@moodflow - But, you just mentioned it.  Arrghhh!!!   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Quote from: calico on August 14, 2008, 10:09:08 AM
I can't wait to see what Vue 7 can actually do, including terrain.

@moodflow - But, you just mentioned it.  Arrghhh!!!   ;D

In my opinion, unless Vue adopts a node based global procedural system, it is still inferior to TG2, in effect.  However, that doesn't mean Vue's terrains can't look really nice or even better than TG2's.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Xpleet

QuoteIn my opinion, unless Vue adopts a node based global procedural system, it is still inferior to TG2, in effect.  However, that doesn't mean Vue's terrains can't look really nice or even better than TG2's.

Most of Vue's stuff is based on nodes,

I think Vue's spectral atmosphere system 1 is superior to Terragen's :P but the clouds are really messed up, from the beginning they could have made them in the only 'real' billowy fashion deserving the name c.l.o.u.d.

Terragen2 clouds suck because they aren't shadowed properly, -> meaning in the shadows there is still bump seen, while in reality, there isn't.

If you know how to use Vue6 imo, you can make even more realistic looking terrains by lighting base.

Christopher

Quote from: Xpleet on August 16, 2008, 12:25:31 AM
Most of Vue's stuff is based on nodes,

I think Vue's spectral atmosphere system 1 is superior to Terragen's :P but the clouds are really messed up, from the beginning they could have made them in the only 'real' billowy fashion deserving the name c.l.o.u.d.

Terragen2 clouds suck because they aren't shadowed properly, -> meaning in the shadows there is still bump seen, while in reality, there isn't.

If you know how to use Vue6 imo, you can make even more realistic looking terrains by lighting base.

You did not just say all that.           :-\

I have been spending years taking pictures of all sorts of clouds and i have seen raised parts in the shaded areas of the clouds, not all are like that but it depends on the amount of cloud convection depth, how dark the shadows are in terms of overall cloud thickness and angle of the sun.

I have yet to see terrain detail in Vue that rivals TG2s more rigid sub-divided micro-details.

Explaine to me how a sky dome atmosphere system in Vue and flat ground plane outweighs a global atmosphere system. I'd think the way light interacts with a globally-based curved terrain and the objects on it that this alone would make for a better more life like outcome.

lightning

yeah vues terrain is no way near terragen's the only good stuff i saw was from pirates of the caribbean and that was all integrated with the highend application
imagine what terragen could do if it was integrated with maya xsi or max................... i dread to think what would happen to eon if it became a possibility............. !

reck

lol I think xpleet was just joking.

Vue has lots of nice features, the procedural plant system for starters. Also a lot of people complain about vue renderer but I think it can create some nice images if your not looking for realism. For instance I love the images this guy creates with vue - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=395762 but then these don't need to look realistic.

But if your just talking about realism and not just nice art, then Terragen wins hands down in my opinion. After all I believe planetsides main aim for tg2 is for it create realistic landscapes. Vue has the benefit of being able to generate unique plants/trees for populations while terragen has to make do with just rotating the same model, but the terragen atmosphere and terrain are far superior.

Christopher

Quote from: reck on August 16, 2008, 05:57:27 AM
lol I think xpleet was just joking.

Well, if that was the case then perhaps i am too much of an old clam for my age.     ;D