Non-primary cloud reflections...

Started by dandelO, August 12, 2008, 06:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

When I uncheck 'enable primary' in a cloud layer to generate some rays alone the clouds are not visible, only their effect on the atmosphere is.
However, when used in a scene with a reflective surface the actual clouds still reflect against a water/reflective shader, any idea if this'll be addressed?

Oshyan

Good catch. I'm not sure how difficult this would be to address, but I'll definitely make note of it and it will be scheduled for a fix, hopefully sooner than later.

- Oshyan

Matt

That's not really a bug, it's the intended behaviour. "Secondary effects" means reflections and shadows. Primary effects are those visible directly to the camera, not reflected. For some compositing situations it's useful to disable the primary visibility but preserve shadows and reflections.

What you probably want is another option so that shadows and reflections are enabled separately, but that's not possible yet. We will add that in the future.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

dandelO

Thanks, Matt. Yes, you're right, I do want that feature and am glad to hear it will be available at some point.

Also, thanks for clearing up my slightly muddled idea on secondary/primary parameters. :)